Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder Experts: Buy or runaway???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ79K5Project, Feb 14, 2006.

1. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I have a lead on an old Midstates 220V welder. This thing is a MIG and stick welder. :woot:It is just smaller than a VW bus. It certainly is not portable. It is on a 4 wheel dolly. The guy says it takes 4 people to lift into a truck and he will deliver it. I don't have a lot of info relating to power duty cycle or model number.

It comes with both sets of wires (MIG and stick), regulator and hosing. No tank. The owner is asking $300. The wires are in fair shape but will need replacing in the future. The gas line is new and some of the wire feed components have been replaced.

I just bought another K5. I am planning on custom skid plates, custom dash for gauges, tube bumpers with winch mounting and when my skill is there, a full roll cage. I plan on building up this 79K5 over the next few years.

I have read everyone's veiw of the Miller 175 and I would love that, but this price has me considering it.

What is the consensus? Is this a good price? What should I be checking for? Any words of caution?:dunno:

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

How old??? Can you still get parts?? When this thing fires up,will it dim the lights in the neighborhood?? It sounds huge...:eek1:

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I'd pass on it. Newer 220v's are much more portable, and by the tiume you got that thing working the way you want it, you could have bought a Lincoln 175. :D

Al

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

no parts .... forget it...

try for a small 220v machine,,, miller or lincoln,,, youll save in the long run

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the assistance. Miller 175 it shall be.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Also keep in mind that you can get a brand new 220v stick welder for $200.
    Get a mig for small stuff and a stick for big stuff and then you can weld just about anything!

7. Propayne

Propayne Registered Member

how old is that thing? it sounds ancient. our School MIGs are about 3 feet high and 4 feet wide and can be picked up by two people.

might as well get the lincoln 175