Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder ideas for Humvee.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Nov 17, 2003.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

This past trip to Afghanistan brought up a lot of our Hummers weaknesses (that terrain is UNFORGIVING to a 10000# beast!). Anyway, on one particular mission, we were WAY out in the middle of nowhere, one a single lane road, with straight up cliffs going up both sides and a pitman arm broke......Afghani truckers who came up behind us a few hours later, couldnt pass and had to back-up the way they came for 3 miles. We had to wait for the parts to be airdropped in, as we usually dont have mechanics (other than guys like me) or extra parts on hand.

So,, I was thinking of some sort of on-board welder we could buy when we re-deploy in May. Our team gets x-amount of dollars to buy stuff like this before a trip, so thats no big deal. The M1113's (Gunvees we call em!!) are like all other hummers, except ours have OBA, 110 converters, armor underneath, and 38" TSL/SX's. We dont run front doors, but they do have hard tops, so a welder (premier, Mobi-arc etc) could be mounted underneath the hardtop like the OBA and converter are.

I also considered the kits that use batteries. Just wanted some ideas considering the enviornment in which we would use it.

Rob

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I would think a welder than runs off your current alternator would be good. Don't those humvess have huge alternators? I thought they were something over 200 amps. I don't remember if they are internally regulated or not.

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I know they are huge, but dont know too much about them. They run our converters, and those are HUGE!!!

Rob

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

AFAIK HMWWV came with 60 amp (M998), 100 amp (m1037 shelter carrier), 200 amp on the M1097 Heavy Variant. The A2 models may all be 100 amp or better, I only have odd models around here. As far as a welder is concerned look no further than the M1097A1 Contact Maintenance Truck Eng/Ord. They came with a Premier welder and (I think) a seperate 12V Premier altenator to power it. If I can remember to check tomorrow I can give you more info. Work is kinda crazy, we're deploying in a couple of weeks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Another BDAR fix is to make a welder from a slave cable. I've got one like that on my truck (Org Maint gets the short end in a DS unit). It works for trail repairs, but with no Amp control (other than connecting to a 5ton or larger) 24V it's not pretty /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS Yes they are internally regulated.

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm...I will have to ask my wife about that. The contact trucks in her unit are all the new humvee ones. I am trying to member if our old contact truck had one. I dont think it did because I would of remembered that (Being DS, we had a welding shop).

I dont know, I dont really want to modify anything, so I guess I will look into getting the dual battery kit.

Rob

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

My head is still spinnin' from work /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So I didn't get a chance to check the TMs. The newer M1097A2 is quite different; huge rectifier and a 300 amp Thermal Arc welder. It's really too much welder IMHO for a contact truck. The older A1 style Premier Welder was more than adequate for a Forward-Fix. I don't understand your "battery kit" comment. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The Army needs discover air tools first /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif A 3/4 impact or a cut-off wheel has always been more of a "need" than a 6011 rod. Who wants a 110v power cord wrapped around them when they're knee deep in muck /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

where are youll deploying? looks like probably Afghanistan for me, possibly Iraq. we just had some troops go to Afghanistan.

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

The kits you can buy that includes the ground, stinger, etc. that uses car (12v) batteries. Actually, I liked your idea of the slave cables.

Looks like Asscrackastan again for us, but it changes everyday!!!

Rob

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

We'er not sure where just yet. First some climatize training at 'Drum /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Then maybe U-wait, if rumor control is right.

10. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

were you in Bagram ??? I spent 2 months in Bagram and another 3 in kandahar last winter/spring febuary-june good to see you home /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Nah, I was at Kandahar over the summer. I heard Bagram sux though!1 Like any of it "Great".

12. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

kandahar was better not near as cold bagrum sucked bad when I was there it's supposed to be built up pretty good me and another guy did all the air field lighting in kandahar and bagram it was pretty cool

13. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

In a pinch ....out on the trail ,,,we used 3 -12volt batteries cabled together with jumper cables and a arc welding rod to weld a broken heep !!!! I wouldnt bet my life on it ....