Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder info needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, May 5, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Is a 120 volt welder powerful enough to weld most steel? What amp range is strong enough to weld 3/8" steel? I am inquiring because I am purchasing one very soon to start on my K5 and I have a budget of $300. I know how to use a wire feed, but I guess I can learn to stick weld if I have too. I would much rather have a wire feed though but the 230v ones are just to expensive.

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

This seems to be covered quite a bit. If you are serious about welding then you just have to bite the bullet and get a decent welder. The 110V machines will do up to 1/4" at the most (being totally optimistic). If your buget is a firm $300 than you will weld sheet metal without problem. Otherwise spend the extra dough and get a nice Miller 220 and never worry about it again.

A good welder is a lot cheaper in the long run..

3. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

Check E-bay....I bought mine (Lincon SP-135 plus...it's a dual mig/arc wire feed machine) brand new in the box for $415 shipped to my door!!! Some real killer deals to be had there....just be careful. I agree with what was said earlier...much better to drop a little more dough now and get a good machine than spend a little less and get a piece of crap that either dies on you in a year or can't weld anything more than 1/8'' without multiple passes and distorting your workpiece from all the heat transfer!!!! Good luck....

4. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Check out Lowes.

I got a Lincoln MIG welder there 2 months ago for less than $400 and it included 1 roll ea of shielded and unshielded wire, the needed tips, and a hand held "helmet". I have run 2 spools of wire through it already w/ no problems. It's great for body work.

PS I believe that the Miller units are the only ones still made in the US. I have seen similar deals on the comparable Miller units to my Lincoln.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Well, I hope I hit the jackpot in Vegas this summer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif