Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Oct 19, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am looking at getting a welder. I welded in high school, but not since then. This will be used for small projects until I get better at it then on to bigger things. I have $500, but would like to spend around $400. I can get a factory reconed Hobart 135 for $379, or the Hobart 140 New for $431. I am leaning towards the 140 because of the "welds 1/4" in a single pass" over the 135's 3/16" capability, but don't know if I really need that much right now. What do you guys think about these welders, or do you have any other good advice. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'd go with the bigger one of the two. 1/4" material is pretty commonly used so its nice to have that capacity. Even then the 1/4" thick material is at the far end of that machines capability, but with a little preparation it will do a good job of welding it as long as you have a good power supply for it like a dedicated circuit that supplies at least 30 amps.

I'm not familiar with the warranties on hobarts but from what I have heard they are pretty good. Aren't they basically a Miller with a different wrapper?

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Get the one with the bigger dudy cycle! I used a little lincoln a few times on 1/4" stuff and it worked OK, but could use some more penetration!

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are these Hobarts 110 or 220? I have a 110 Lincoln and I hate it! It just doesn't produce enough heat for most of my jobs. Our 220 lincoln works much better but I prefer our engine powered stick welder, sticks seem to penetrate better with thick material than a wire machine. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. MTBLAZER89

They are both 115 Mig's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Whatever you get be sure to get a bottle too. It makes welds soooooooooooo much nicer with the inert gas instead of flux core. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

OK now the 175 is looking pretty tempting. $459 for it reconditioned with Hobart one yr warranty /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

lincoln 135. 5/16 in 1 pass. ebay for 400 bux shipped /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    lincoln 135. 5/16 in 1 pass. ebay for 400 bux shipped /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Thats the one I have and I hate it! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

can i ask why you hate it? i like it better then my shops millermattic 210v

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

search used, the smaller welders are always available as once you buy one you learn that you need a bigger welder
    buy the biggest one you can get

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Whatever you get be sure to get a bottle too. It makes welds soooooooooooo much nicer with the inert gas instead of flux core. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It also doesn't penetrate as well.

So far I have only used my welder with flux core wire (but I have MIG welded before also). I welded the 1" thick plates that hold my hydro ram on the axle with it and it penetrated fine. My Bambar was welded onto the axle housing iwth the same welder.

There isn't going to be any noticable difference between the 135 and the 140.....they're the same unit, one is just the updated model. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I'd get yourself the cheaper of the two Hobarts and go. Get a bigger MIG later.

I was so heart-set on getting the 175, but I found this Hobart 135 (well a CK5 member pointed it out to me) for $229 and I couldn't pass it up. I got it, started burning some metal, and honestly, nothing can replace a good 110v wire feed. You can take it anywhere and plug it right in. I've taken it to friend's houses, and used it to fab my bambar, fix my exhaust, weld up a 10 bolt rear axle, install my hydro assist, etc.

I have not yet been limited by my 110 volt machine's capability. Honestly, I'm glad I didn't get the 175. Even my 133 lbs with a bum knee can still drag my little 135 everywhere I need to take it. I have a 100' long #10 extension cord and I can use it in the backyard, the front yard, inside, outside, you name it! I can take it with me to the campsite when I go wheelin' too so everyone in the camp has a welder. At the local 4x4 show, a guy welded the link mount back on his Toyota tuff-truck with my welder, in the parking lot!!!

Big MIG machines are GREAT, but, nothing beats the versitility, and portability, of a 110 v wire feed machine!

Chalk this up as wanted the 175, settled on the 135, and pleased as punch ever since.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    sticks seem to penetrate better with thick material than a wire machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is completely false. Penetration has nothing to do with the style of welder you're using. You probably were just trying to do something that a 110 volt MIG just isn't capable of. A good, 220v MIG will produce much higher quality welds in heavy material than any stick welder, and with flux core, proper preperation, and multiple passes, a 110 volt machine can still get the job done in most cases.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is completely false. Penetration has nothing to do with the style of welder you're using. You probably were just trying to do something that a 110 volt MIG just isn't capable of. A good, 220v MIG will produce much higher quality welds in heavy material than any stick welder, and with flux core, proper preperation, and multiple passes, a 110 volt machine can still get the job done in most cases.

[/ QUOTE ]Not when you have a 400 amper 4 cylinder gas powered stick welder.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick welding is dirty and difficult compared to MIG or FCAW. I wouldn't trade a good wire feed for anything.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll never go back to stick. I used to be the biggest stick welding fan--not anymore.

16. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool you guys answered my question before i even asked it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Stick welding is dirty and difficult compared to MIG or FCAW. I wouldn't trade a good wire feed for anything.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll never go back to stick. I used to be the biggest stick welding fan--not anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

They both have their advantages and dis advantages. For what most of us do, a MIG is fine.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They both have their advantages and dis advantages. For what most of us do, a MIG is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, agreed 100%.

Where's trusty and baddog and kidjethro when you need them?

19. MTBLAZER89

I don't know I was hoping to get their opinions in here too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I have 100's of hours of experience welding between stick and mig. I prefer a stick welder because like I said, it just seems to have more heat there because I use 5/32" rod, much thicker than mig wire. As far as how the weld looks....I don't care in most cases as long as it is a GOOD weld and even then, when the settings are correct splatter isn't bad.