Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder Poll, wut should i do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Jul 29, 2004.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Im not sure what to do. If i buy online keep in mind i have to pay about 35 bux for shipping And if i buy at lowes i get a warranty and a return policy

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I am partial to lincoln but I also love my lincoln pro-mig 135, It can weld up to 5/16 and it plugs into household 110 so I can take it just about anywhere. I would save up to buy a better welder than the weld pack 100 it would prolly be ok for thin stuff but I dont think it would weld thick stuff worth (darn). Try to get the most amps you can for the money you want to spend. When I bought mine the hobart was more expensive than mine was and mine could weld thicker metal. Just my .02. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Dont get a Weld Pack anything. How about a SP-135?

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

This is the one I just got a few hours ago from Home Depot:
    [​IMG]
    It's Lincoln's 3200 HD
    It cost me $387 + tax (original price was $427 but I got the display for $50 off). It ready to weld flux or MIG right out of the box (just need to supply your own gas and tank). Up to 135 amp output w/ a 120v/20amp input. Can weld up to 5/16" mild steel. Can weld aluminium w/ a $20+ add on kit. Even comes with an under carrage w/ rollers and a tank holder. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

me? i would never buy a welder from home depod or lows or what ever i would find a good welding supply shop, filled with guys who make there living off selling JUST welding supplys and who know what the hell there talking about.

Talk with the rep for a bit he can take you though 15 to 20 welders, and you can find the right one that will really fit your needs and back pockit.

i wouldent want to pick from one or two welders at a place that dosent know what there talking about, a shop will give you a warrinty and fix any problems there, some places will give you a loner too.
    /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Is that money burning a hole in your pocket? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

What you say makes a lot of sense, but it all leads to buying a $600+ welder. To me it's just like buying power tools... ask a pro what circular saw you should buy and he'd probably say, "get a Milwaukee." Well he might be right, but it's also $200. For the average hobbyist, and some pros for that matter, the $60 Skil or Craftsman would have lasted you forever. I think the same may hold true for welders. If I had plenty of cash, I'd be looking at Millers (not that Lincolns are inferior). But, since I might use that thing for a month steady and then go six months w/o even touching it, I don't NEED the Miller. Now when I bought this welder, I didn’t take the advice of some clerk at Home Depot or Lowe’s; rather, I studied Lincoln and Hobart websites. I compared all the 100+ amp, 110-120 volt welders (primarily the SP135 Plus & Handler 140) and I found that the 3200HD offered the same duty cycle, amperage and other options that mattered to me at the best price. The fact that this welder is offered at Home Depot (as well as other places) only made it more accessible.

Oh, and just in case anyone is interested Lowe’s seemed to have exclusively Hobart welders, while Home Depot had the Lincolns.

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

How did u manage to get them to sell the display?

Yea i wanted the 135 but if i buy it now then there will be no money for other expenses like i still need to get a sawzall and the metal i will be welding.

I dont know of any welding shops around here but i will look.

Im only 16 so money dosent come that easy so i was really looking for a deal.

The lowes by me dosent have anything but lincoln. The homedepot only has lincoln as well. The only place around me that has hobart is northern tool.

My uncle is a manager at homedepot so ill see if i can get a deal.

Does this look good if i can get it shipped to my door for like 277? Its in like new condition and has a 10 day money back guarintee.

http://www.jenpro.co.uk/Electric/lincolnsp-125.html

I think i replyed to everyones post. Thanks and look at that link and tell me wut u think

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I couldn't find a 125 on Lincoln's site
    Lincoln Electric - product search
    Did you notice that the link you listed is a UK link (as in United Kingdom of Great Britain)?
    Maybe they have different welders over there due to the different voltage they use.... Anyway, even if you could use that welder, shipping would probably be outragous.

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Yea that site was the only place i could find info on it. U think i should do it and if i get it and its a pos i should return it?

12. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

It says it runs off 115 volts???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That’s gonna have to be your call. However, since Lincoln no longer lists it on its site, you may wanna try calling their tech department and asking them about the SP-125 Plus and see why they don't have it on their site. It may be discontinued.
    Also, keep in mind, as with all internet sales, returning an item can be a pain. Buy locally if you can.

13. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hit up your dad to split the cost? maybe he needs something welded. I just bought the lincolin 3200hd it seems to be good for all my needs so far. It came from home depot [convienit] good luck with whatever you get.o yea gas helps a-lot for the thinner sheet metal like rockers/floor pans/ fenders

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

We have a Lincoln SP125 Plus in the shop here at work that the mechanics use for light jobs (the fabrication shop has the bigger stuff). It's setup with gas and is a pretty decent welder. I used it a bunch recently when replacing my rockers with 3x3" tube and welding in new floors. The only downside is that it has borderline power for welding anything over 3/16" thick. I've used it a little for 1/4" stuff and you really had to let it "burn in" to get any penetration.

For the brand, our fabrication shop also has a Lincoln mig (not sure what size, but it's big....does 1" plate easily) and several of the guys have Lincolns at home. They recommend the SP175 (220 volt) for home use but again you are looking at a $600 welder.

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have the Pro-Mig 135 also.. Got it from Lowes. I really like it and have no complaints. Went with it over a Miller and Hobart because a good friend of mine that fabricates for a living recommended Lincoln.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just eliminated one of your options by buying the Hobart 135.

I really wanted the 175/180, but at that price I just couldn't resist.

$280 to the door for a 100% functional Hobart 135 was just too good to pass up.

17. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Let me know how well that superpawn deal works out. I think im guna get the lincoln 135 at lowes tho cuz i wanted to be able to weld more then the 3/16 the hobart offerd.

18. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

FYI... i was just playing w/ my 3200 HD today and it works like a champ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif A 135 amp MIG ready welder for under $400 is hard to beat! Like you, I wanted the hi-capacity (5/16") the Licoln offered over the Hobart. Once I score this $20 Argon bottle from ebay I'll be set!!!

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I suppose $280 is "under $400". I thought that was a steal!!

20. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I suppose $280 is "under $400". I thought that was a steal!!

[/ QUOTE ]

...and it was.... theaf!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    JK.... I wish I could've stolen one for that price!