Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welder... prices and where to get the best deal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by four_by_ken, Jun 28, 2003.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am in the market for a welder, finally. I am looking for a MIG/flux wire feed. In the 100-135A range. 120v only. I want it portable.

I have found a Hobart 135A for $419 at Tractor Supply Compant. And a 100A Lincoln at Lowes for $327.

Any help?

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

3. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Is the 120v a must? I know price is always an issue but the Hobart 175 230V is a MUCH better machine. The 135 would have a hard time fully penetrating many frame/diff weld work. If you saved a couple more months and bought the 175 you would have a welder that could do all 4x4 work you could think of and last a lifetime.

4. four_by_ken

Thanks, but those links were of no use to me. I am looking for some places that have good prices. I already know what I want. I dont need a 175A welder. I have been using a 100A to do all my work and it does the job just fine.

Thanks
    Ken H.

[ QUOTE ]
    Try searching. I know this topic has been covered multiple times.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. four_by_ken

Yes, 120v is a must. I want to be able to take it whereever I want. Dad's garage... in-laws cottage. Campground, etc. The extra $100 isnt what is holding me back. Plus the 220v are usually a lot larger and heavier also.

Really just price shopping right now to make sure I am not over paying. YEah... I am being cheap.

Thanks
    Ken H.

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the 120v a must?

[/ QUOTE ]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's a pretty good price!
    www.cyberweld.com usualy beats most places but aftertax I think your still getting a better price then the $458 shipped price.
    The lincoln is not as good. I have used that Lincoln as well as the Hobart 135. The Hobart did much better. I have a Hobart 175 and I'm very happy with it.

7. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i got my welder from cyberweld.com and it shipped fast and complete I made 4 to 5 times and the 1 time they had a back order a got a e- mail telling me ASAP and it got their 3 days later a+ for this place