Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welder problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rustbucket, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

My father in law showed up here the other day with a Hobart handler 120 welder. The thing looks brand new. It won't feed wire. We tested everything and it works like it should, but it's hard to weld when no wire comes out. Has anyone had this problem before? Just looking to see if it's something I can fix or if he should take it somewhere. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Is the wire runnin between the rubber wheels that are sposed to push the wire down the line?? Is the tip all yucky and not lettin the wire get out?? Good luck.

Allan

3. mirage

mirage Registered Member

I'd check to make sure the wire is through the line properly. I've heard of the wire getting outside of the sleeve and all caught up.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Feed problems are a PITA sometimes. Number one cause is a bad contact tip...$3 consumable. For a home machine I'd check a few other things as well. Has the wire size been changed recently?

Start at the contact tip...remove it and see how the wire feeds. Try and hold back the wire with your fingers...if you can easily there is more to check.

Open up the machine and confirm the driver is working...if so how is the tension on the wire? If all checks out so far is there too much tension on the roll of wire? I recently modified the retainer spring on my machine because the driver had to work too hard to unroll the wire.

Rene