Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder question? not sure if this is the right spot?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joryyroj, Mar 14, 2005.

1. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

I am tackling my own body work on my 1972 K5 blazer body, my question is on welders? There is a wire fed MIG welder at my lowes for 149.00 I am looking for a "value"welder that I could use to tack in new sheet metal anyone have experience with this welder or have any other comments for feedback on an inexpensive welder? Thanks in advance!

2. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

For $149 I don't think you will be set up to Mig weld. Out of the box you will probably only be able to run flux core wire which may not be the best process for bodywork. Some others on this site can tell you if you can do a decent job on bodywork with flux core. The welder might be able to weld Mig, but you are going to need to look into the regulator and either rent or purchase a tank for the shielding gas.

3. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

I have tried a $100 cheap wire feed that a friend had. Its ok for quick welds on 1/8 and some little stuff, but it had a short duty cycle and required lots of cleanup from not getting a good constant arc. It will just burn holes in sheet metal.

I started with a small welder from home depot. It was an Hd3200. about a $500 machine. It came with a regulator and a nozle that can use gas and 0.023 wire. I did need to spend $100 for a tank of 75/25 gas. It is built by lincoln and is identical to there model 135 or 150 something like that. It also has the option for an aluminum kit that I have to order someday. Lincoln sells the one with there name for 800-1000.

I found with 0.030 cored wire I originally burned some holes in 16awg, and had a hard time doing any 18 or 20awg. I ran out and bought the gas tank and switched to solid 0.023 wire. it was much more forgiving on the thin stuff. But its more expensive. With a little practice it works very well. Now that I know what Im doing 030 flux gets used for everything possible. I only use the gas and 0.023 for long welds on 18awg or smaller. The machine says it can do 24 awg, but I don't have the skill.

On the other side the machine says it can also weld 1/4 plate. It does ok, but could use a little extra power.

Overall I think it its agreat machine for $500 and a small home shop.