Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ProJunkRacing, Dec 11, 2005.

1. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

I am about to buy a welder , and was wondering what a good brand ,size would be , i wanna do a cage sliders , etc and am just starting out

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just bought a Miller 175, basically have the same intentions as you. It's still in the mail though.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oh geeze, here we go. :screwy:

4. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt listen to mike... he likes watching richard simons movies:o

5. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Get a "Ready Welder" from "Vulcan performance" (on the web) it's the cheepest place to get 'em. That will do all U need it to, AND it is an on board welder for your'e truck to if U have dual batt. They work GREAT! And it can do any thing from 1/8" all the way up to 1/2" and it's about the same price as a lincon or any good brand of wire feed out there. (about $450)

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

If you're just starting out welding, welding on your suspension, steering or fabbing a 'cage SHOULD NOT be your first projects! None of them! Your life and well being depend on those things when you're in your rig, and playing with them while just starting is like playing Russian Roulette!

Start with just the rock sliders first if your wanting to custom fab your own parts. That way so if you mess up these, and these sliders fail, you won't die.

7. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

I have a Snap-On Muscle Mig with a tig torch that I use for cages. Go with a good brand, Linoln, Miller, Esab, or Hobart..

8. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

i personally like the miller products. i have a trailblazer 301g portable welder/ generator and i love it.

9. ProJunkRacing

well it is not that i can't weld the last few places i worked i took my stuff to work welded it there just starting to get into buying my own welded

10. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I have the hobart handler 180. Does what I need and I have a lincoln AC250 stick if I need more power for something.
    The Hobart is basically the home hobiest version of the miller. They are the same parent company and most of the hobarts parts say miller on them. The Millers have a few common wear items that are heavier duty for industrial type use. Not worth the extra doe if you are going to use it 20 times a year IMO. If you think that you will be doing your stuff plus all your buddies and use it 10 times a month or something you may want to consider the miller for the extra quality.

Whatever you do buy a mig with gas hockups not just the cheapy flux setup.
    Also going with a name brand will ensure that you can get liners for it if you want to run .023 for body work or some other light work. I have never seen the liners and other acc. for the no name brands.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

BEATER, you're up!

12. ProJunkRacing

lol i think i will look at a miller

13. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Id go with a lincoln. It may be a little bit more expensive then miller but your getting what you pay for. All 4 of the welding teachers ive had in the past 2 years have said to go with lincoln over miller any time. Ive had experiance with both brands so im not just going on what ive been told. I also no that lincoln has used the same gun for the past 15 years so replacement parts are definately out there, not sure about miller though. IMO go with lincoln, although miller still makes excellent machines.