Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder question...

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by jms, Jun 2, 2006.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I'm mulling over getting a welder, as it would be useful in a couple of projects:

1. my '61 Buick needs some sheetmetal repair, and the rear bodymounts replaced.
    2. I'll need a crossmember for my upcoming doubler project.
    3. The exhaust on my K5 could use some tacks here and there to stop rattling.

Now, mind you, this is for hobby use, I' don't need this for a living, and I have NO intentions of getting into fabrication. It's for small stuff where I don't want to ask favors from buddies.

So I stumbled across this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55247

Anybody have input/suggestions, may be a different brand/model?
    I also don't have 220V in the garage and rather not bother having 220 installed at this time...

As for the crossmember, I have no illusions of building one myself, I'm thinking more along the lines of measuring, getting pieces for a driveshaft hoop and tacking it in place - then have someone who knows what they're doing weld it up :D

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i have that welder or a model extremely similar. it was cheap, but its not so great. id spend the money on a name-brand.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

buy a lincoln 135hd...(not the sp100 or sp135 home depot version,, but the hd version-see ebay) its what we use at the school for ICAR certs.. they get beat up and studentized pretty hard and last several years even being abused,, and I mean abused..
    it will weld 1/8 inch single pass.. and comes ready for gas use... easy to use for simple fab... reasonable in price.. 4-600 bucks

dont waste your money on harbor freight welders.. they run crappy.. they have special parts only available from china.. they break easily.. and they are junk

cam

4. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Cam, thanks for the input. A little more $ than what I had in mind, but with everything, you get what you pay for. The 'studentized' argument is a good one, I know exactly what you mean. :D

P.S. When I saw you had replied to my post, my first thought was 'Oh no, he's gonna tell me to get one of them 7000 Amps welders like he has next to his 4-ton welding table...':bow: :laugh:

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a lincoln sp135 would be great for you. never heard of the sp135hd.
    i have a clarke 130en at home, it does what i would expect out of it for what i paid for it ($340). ive welded 3/16 with it and it works ok for that. i have used it ALOT and have not had one problem with it.

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

7. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

I have had a Lincoln 135 for several years and it has done me very well. I pretty much built my truck with it. My bumpers, rock sliders, steering box brace,etc. and tons of sheet metal were all done with the 135. The key seems to be to have a GOOD source of 110 power. No long or skinny extension cords. I have shielding gas hooked up to mine, and it lays a nice bead.

8. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

I also have a lincoln 135 great little welder. If your concerned about cost go to TSC and look at there hobarts. This is the cheapest place I've seen them.

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I used the HF welder at my nephews. It mostly sucks!

You have a trigger, but it just feeds the wire. The wire stays hot all the time. So if you touch the welding surface it will spark.

I was using .35 flux core and trying to weld his anti-wrap bars. They were .120 wall tube and the welder would not penetrate on high... It made a big mess.