Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvyhs, Nov 25, 2002.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifWhat's the differance with the stick migs and the wire fed? I know how the wire fed works, I've used that before. Is the stick like arc? Which is better for fabricating bumpers and cages and fixing frame cracks? How about price differances? Thanks

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Stick=Arc not mig. Mig is a wire feed procees where Gas is used for sheilding. Stick uses as coating on the Stick/Rods that melts over the weld to provide the sheild. Then there is also Tig when you use a Carbon Tungston rod to create the arc. A sheild gas is also used and then a fill rod.

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

don't forget flux-core, when you use mig without using gas.

i only do stick welding. much cheaper than mig and tig and will do just about anything thicker than sheet metal.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What's the best for my money?

5. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

if you have never welded before mig will do just fine for the bumpers exct and is much iesier to use and get a good weld but arc is a stronger weld depending on the rod and it is cheaper but harder to weld with

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Get the Tig welder and I'll teach you how to use it....
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

TIG cost too much! Maybe I can stop by one of these days and learn anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

For what your asking to do Stick. Hit Home Depot or Lows. They had a Lincoln AC225 for around $225. Hit local welding supply and pick up some 6011 rods or 7014's. I like 7014's myself but that's just me. 6011 is a good general rod that's pretty tollerent of surface rust and oils but it is best to have a clean are to start with.

9. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i agree, cept 7018 is my fav.

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What about going with gas for now?

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Found this in the recycler

Price $1,500.00
    Price Negotiability OBO
    Ad Text Metal Fabrication Equipment. Welders, MIG, TIG etc. Iron Worker, Punch Presses.
    Extra Text Metal Fab Shop selling excess equipment.
    S P E C I A L P R O M O T I O N S
    C O N T A C T I N F O R M A T I O N
    Phone (909) 656-7122 (Click this number to see what city you will be calling)
    eMail ken@abmllc.com

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

A good 220v Mig with gas compatibility is a great all around welder. You'll find Mig is the easiest to learn and the most dynamic when it comes to home fabrication (sheet metal to I-Beams). The thicker steel items are generally better suited for Arc welders but most can be accomplished with a good mig. Tig is great where a beautiful weld is needed but its overkill for the home fabricator unless you have a deep pocket. Tig would be the prefered way to go for lots of aluminum work, but a good gas mig could also accomplish this, just not as pretty! From talking with TonyP, take him up on any offers he throws out with that Tig- you won't regret the experience he can offer!

13. Grim-Reaper

Stick don't need gas unless your talking a Torch. Torch takes even more practice than Stick.
    To go true mig your talking $800 once you buy a tank and the works for a decent 220v machine like a Hobart Handler 175. That's whay I use and it's a great machine fore the price but I needed something that could do body and heavy stuff. 110v Migs are pretty stressed for over 1/8 inch in true mig and over 3/16 in Flux. My 175 will welld 1/8 all day long and never get into a Duty cycle problem and 1/4 is fine it gets down to about 50% duty cycle.
    Duty cycly is how long the machine can beused before it needs a rest. 110volt welder are in 20% range in their higer settings and thats where it will need to be for the stuff your wanting to do. Stick wouldn't even be breaking a sweat on 1/4 inch.

14. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What are you using for your stuff Mike? I looked up the Lincoln ac-225 and it looks great for the price and what I want to do. I'm not worried about having to learn how to use stick. I used to weld things together with my dads' old arc for fun and I have plenty of welders here at work to learn from. Right now I'm on a tight budget and I'm not planning on doing any sheet metal work.

Thanks everyone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

if you care what your welds look like that might be a factor. stick takes a lot of practie before you can make it look good. mig you can do perfect after half an hour. but you can get better penetration(stronger, deeper welds) with the stick. i would go stick, cuz seriosly, if its strong, does it really matter what it looks like?

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I use a 110v 95amp for small mobile jobs, and a Millermatic 220v 175amp for most everything else. I have the Miller on loan, but I like it so much, I'm going to buy one!

I should add in that I have to use a buzz box now and again.. about once every two months for the thick stuff! And I'm still using oxy/acet for cutting what doesnt get outsourced to get laser or computer flame cut. Plasma cutters are expensive! I keep my overhead as low as possible to keep my pricing model down, and to help fund more equipment (like this lathe that I have my eye on)

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Mike,
    Did you finish my tire carrier yet? LOL
    hey I just PM you....

18. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

My vote is a mig. It is very hard to do stuff like exhaust with a stick and pretty much impossible to do body work. You can get plenty of penetration for anything you will do with a good mig. Worse case you bevel the joint and make a multiplul pass(just like you do with stick)

Mig is alot easier to to set up and tacking and all that jive and crawling around under a car. Its the setup IMO for a home/general fabricator.

In school I liked mig the least(I loved TIG /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif ) But after buying a MIG for home and doing body work and fabing stuff up I really like mig. MIG is a whole lot easier to do outa position weged like a pretzel underneath things.

Dont buy a century or any of that crafstman garbage IMO. I really love my miller but hobart and lincoln are good. Get gas too. It is nice to have the ability of running flux cored wire though there incase you want to do a bit of welding outside. Sometimes it can be a PITA welding with gas trying to keep it from getting blown away from the weld.

19. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I think I'll go with the stick for now. It's the price that's putting me over the top. There's enough people with mig so I can always do some trading when it comes to the light stuff and I feel I can learn the stick fast enough.

Thanks for all the input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif