Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder Shopping

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Mar 24, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

As many of you already already know, I'm only 16, but i'm starting my second project this summer, Project Charlie Daniels. I'm going to be doing a lot of welding with my friends, and have a couple experienced friends willing to teach me (one w/ 8 years experience, one with 45 years experience) but they aren't in town now. This project will be a ground up project starting with nothing more than some I beams and a large chop saw. To connect the beams I've been planning on welding plate steel to the end and bolting it together. I need STRONG welds, not necessarily pretty. What kind of welder should I look for. I'll be searching for old welders, maybe eBay, maybe classifieds, who knows, but what kind of welder would be optimum? Gas? Wire? MIG? Arc? Stick? TIG? Thanks for the help.

2. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I just LOVE the lil 220v Lincoln we use at our race shop. I'm not sure what exact model it is, but it's been a super trooper for quite a number of years now...
    Check this place out, they should have answers to any and all questions you might have over the matter.
    Lincoln Welders
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. BowtieRed

anybody else?

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i don't know that much about welders, but harbor freight has a pretty good selection, and decent prices on them.

5. BowtieRed

i mean what types- i'm not going to have enough money to buy a new one.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Stick with Lincoln or Miller. Those are the two most popular brands and have used both, and they work awesome. Also if your going to be welding thicker than 3/16" material you may want to look into a stick because it is easier to get good penetrationg thus creating a strong weld. But with a MIG you can do thin stuff like sheet metal and do the thick stuff if you get the proper machine. Also stick with 220V since you will be doing thicker material.

7. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

make sure you buy one with a decent duty cycle

8. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Bowtiered, with your experience, no pun, I'd recommend a stick. Especially for frame work. They're cheap and u can visually see a poor weld from a good weld. They're not as easy to use as a mig, that's why when u get a pretty bead w/a stick, u know penetration's good. Mig is a better "all-around" welder, more versatile. But can "fool" u w/regards to penetration. Most mig welds "look" good unless u really butcher it. Tig is an excellent choice, but takes more practice and $$$$ (lots of$$$$). Tig also requires super cleanliness, something usually lacking in the garage (at least mine). Get a "buzz box" peferably w/ac & dc so u can run 7018 rod. I think u'll be happy. Check on Int'l Full Size Jeep Assoc. (IFSJA.org), there was a couple of guys who would probably give u their welders if u ask. Good luck, and practice, Tom.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I bought a Millermatic 175 in 230 volt and I absolutely love it.

10. fauxshox

fauxshox Registered Member

If you are not an experienced welder you will find it easier to learn MIG than any of the other processes. Get a 230 volt machine, Lincoln or Miller, your choice. Have your experienced buddies show you the basics. Yes, with Mig you can put down a weld that is "cold" and didn't penetrate, but that is where your friends experience will come in. If you are welding thick material then switch away from solid wire (MIG) and use a dual shield wire. It takes a bit of practice to learn to use this wire in any position but flat but it does penetrate and gives a very pretty strong weld... Overall a wire machine is more flexable than any of the other choices........ My .02 cents.

Richard