Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder type to buy???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I want to get a stick welder! AC/DC version is what I am after. What brand should I consider?? How about the #s involved like Duty cycle and all that jazz?? Do good #s = a good box??
    Thanks

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Rene' You're up!

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What are you going to use it for? Just my opinion, but stick welders are slow and not anywhere near as versatile as a wire feed welder.
    I'd stick with a name brand welding machine. Miller, Lincoln etc. Personally I dis-like anything made by Hobart, just never had any luck with the machines and I really hate their flux-core wire.
    Duty cycle, again it depends on what you're using it for. Body work? Big ass bumpers? Most home welders are in the 15 to 20% duty cycle range, and its usually enough. The larger more expensive machines are up to about 60% for stick and 100% for wire. All these ratings are taken at maximum outout, so if you're welding at less than max your duty cycle will be higher.
    I currently have a little 115V wire feed welder for boo-boo fixing and body work for my Jimmy, 15% duty cycle, single sheild flux core (gasless) and it works great. I will be adding a CO2 bottle to it soon so I can use microwire.
    I used to have a Miller 250 amp stick machine, I hardly ever used it.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Basically want it to make steel goodies for my rig. Like rocker skids, roll bar stuff,rearbumper/carrier,skid plates and whatever else I can do. I want to beable to weld 1/4 and larger with a sigle pass! I am a total rookie welder and will be practicing quite abit before turnig out any products for my rig!

6. tRustyK5

From personal experience I would humbly suggest a wire feed welder. Stick can be tricky on thinner stuff and filling any sort of a gap can be an adventure. I would look into one of the larger home MIG machines. The duty cycle will be higher and you'll be able to weld 1/4" and better in one pass. It will also be much more versatile, you'll also be able to do welding on thin sheet (body repair). Its also much easier to learn to do well than stick is. MIG also is quite a bit nicer to look at than most stick welds.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

I agree with tRustyk5 i have a similiar MIG welder, and love it. I had never welded before i bought it, but it is easy to use. Just make sure you use the right wire for your application. I made the mistake of using the wire that came with the machine to so some body work and it ate right through the metal. But i would definitely go wire fed.

8. tRustyK5

Yeah, welding the thin stuff is almost an art, and definitely an exercise in patience.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I hear ya. I have a 110 mig wirefeed from Sears. This welder has seen very little use sence it is for the thiner type welding I haven't had a need for it yet, nor have I had much practice with it! I want a stick AC/DC for the big stuff. Another reason for using a stick is to learn how to weld with a stick so that when I eventually get an on board welder for my K5 I will know how to use it! I have a buddy that welds stainless all day long and he is going to school me on the art of stick welding.

10. tRustyK5

Well why didn't you say so?[​IMG]
    Go back to Sears and buy the 'best' stick welder you can afford. Most of their welders are re-badged Millers and Lincolns. 250 amps is plenty, 20 to 30% duty cycle is good.
    Probably the best electrode for a single phase stick machine is either 6013 or 7014. Both are all position and are easy to use and make look good. I prefer the 7014. Both will 'light up' real easy making your life much easier. I'd stay with a 3/32" electrode, you can try 1/8" but it'll take more juice.
    You should try your wire feed on some 1/4" stuff, you'll probably be surprised. Just crank 'er up and take your time!

Rene

[​IMG]

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

12. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

That Lincoln is an excellent little machine. I used to have one, but it just did not have enough duty cycle for me and I went with a 250 Mig. The rods that Rene suggested are good, they even call a 7014 a rookie rod. If you are going to weld flat you can use a 7024 which you can weld with blind, and if you have clean materials you can use 7018, my personal favorite. The only problem is they are a low hydrogen rod and if left out in the open air they absorb moisture and become no good. I am not a big fan of 3/32 rods cause you have to start and stop too much. The rods just dont cover any distance. You should always use a rod that is 1/16 smaller than the thinest material you are welding. As for settings try 70-75 for 3/32 90-95 for 1/8 and 120 for 5/32 diameter rods. Good luck, it really is not that hard. Preparation of the surface is 80% of the battle

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

13. tRustyK5

I like your taste![​IMG] I've always been partial to Lincoln. I think that machine is a beauty and will do everything you need it to without breaking a sweat.
    Now all you'll have to do is convince your wife the dryer really doesn't need to be plugged in![​IMG]

Rene

PS more suggestions? Buy lots of beer for your welder friend! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

Burt

Have you thot about geting a TIG welder it is the strongest kind of welding you can do and it gets great penatration to weld thick stuff and is the most persise to weld the tnin stuff it is a little slow but it pays off in stranth and it is very clean but it would take a wile to get good at it it is a little hard it is like stick and torch welding combined it is what a lot of pro are useing to make strong stuff roll cager and race car chasey

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

15. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

oh and as far as brand I really like miller but I you get a small stick welder I would get a lincoln best for the price and work great I dont know about lincoln tig welders

[​IMG]Go prepared

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey great stuff thanks guys!!
    Ya I have heard that about TIGs but I think the stick is what i'm gonna stick with (hehehehe, that came out kinda funny). Again I just want to learn the stick for the onboard trail fix sanario and plus the stuff I am going to make won't really need to survie 100mph plus crashes and stuff up in that level of strength needed.
    Oh ya what about this one http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/StickmateLX_AC-DC.html

17. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I agree with Rene I dont really like hobart

I would get a lincoln if you are going to get a stick welder I have use a lincoln 225 ac stick welder a lot and they work great

[​IMG]Go prepared

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

19. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I really like miller that is all I use now (use to use a lincoln but the miller I use can mig tig and stick weld) but the one I use is at school and is big and I mean big I dont know about the little ones but they are porbaly really good too

and 384.00 does not sould bad

[​IMG]Go prepared

20. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i would go with the miller welder... i learned how to weld in school and they had these for quite some time with guy's using and abusing them every day!!! i know that guy's say that you can't weld anything that you want to look good with a stick welder but i know a guy that can make a weld and you'll never be able to tell if it was welded with a stick or if someone,somehow bent it that way!!!..i have become quite proficient with a stick welder and can use it to weld about anything,,exhaust,body panels,bumpers and many other heavy and thin things so don't be discouraged if you don't get it at first,just "stick" with it and practice every chance you get and you will suprise yourself at what you can do....oh yeah they are also great for getting a tan in the winter too so be sure to wear long sleeves and jeans!!!! good luck

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]