Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder wiring Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 29, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't know if the title is in the same respect as my question but for my welder (Millermatic 135) I had it running full voltage and 7/8 full on wirespeed. I was wondering if a common household wiring set-up would be okay for that? Last time I had a (4) florecent light fixtures hooked up and a grinder not on. I don't have the knoledge to make it a better wiring (upgrade) so I hope I will be okay. Next time I weld I will have everything un-plugged except for the welder. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

steve,,, The millermatic 135 requires a 20 amp 110v circuit correct?.... so if you plug anything else into it while welding at full power you would be exceeding the rating of the circuit...
    Also as you weld over time the wire can get hotter... so yes it would be easy to overload your typical 15 amp circuit...
    Look at the miller and see what the draw is and then confirm what circuit your house wiring is listed as....
    if you begin blowing the breaker and resetting it and continuing to weld over and over you do risk fire,,,, ususally the circuit breaker will trip repeatedly and stop you from doing this...
    know your machines draw and the power supply ability of your house wiring....
    if you have to you can pull a dedicated circuit just for your welder...
    In my shop each machine has its own circuit.... and the outside ones are on GFI breakers to protect me when wet.... of course welding and water dont mix
    I recommend "Uglys book of electrical wiring: ,,, you can find it at most electrical supply houses and maybe even the depot... its what the pros use... about 9.00
    hope this helps
    cam

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey thanks, I will look for that book soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hey I just called my buddy to see if he can wire up a dedictaed outlet for my welder. (He's a 70 year old electrician)

Anyway, how does one go about this? I have a HUGE line coming into the shop, and a lot of open spots in the box. I can get a pic.....

Is the circuit dependand on breaker size or..... ?

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

well if you have room in your box coming to the garage and the main is a good size... more than 100/200 amps you could pull a 50 amp circuit for a dedicated welder.... its easy and take about 30 minutes if the run is simple.... breaker requires double the space of your single pole 15/20 amps...
    should cost about 50-75 bucks... wire /steel box/conduit/50amp breaker
    most 250 amp machines use a 50 amp plug... make yourself a nice 220v extension cord for taking the machine outside... mount the box where its convenient for you to weld and have the welder sit

cam

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the circuit dependand on breaker size or..... ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The circuit size/capacity depends on the breaker size and wire size. For a 15 amp circuit use #14 gauge wire, 20amp is 12 gauge, 30 amp is 10 gauge, 40 amp is 8 gauge, and for a 50amp circuit, I would use 6 gauge wire.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Its a SP135 110v Lincoln, I already have a 220v wired in