Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fabjunkie, May 10, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

What is the smallest welder that would be good for doing structural and sheet? I'm can weld, so that is not a problem. The problem is that I don't have a lot to spend on this but I want to find one that will do everything I want to do with my Blazer. I'm thinking at least a 175 amp. Would I be ok going with a 110 volt, or should I just get a 220 right off the bat and save myself the extra expense later?

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now I am not much of a welder but I would say go 220 off the bat. The reason being is some of my freinds have bought the 110 versions and then they come and use my 220 and they like my 220 better it is a miller 172(?) Awesome welder, if I need to weld anything thick I just triple pass

3. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking. I'm used to using the 220 from school. But they were the BIG ones. I definatly can't afford that. What did you give for yours?

4. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I bought a used miller 225 for $300 and I like it. It's my first welder so I'm still learning. It's a arc welder. I have to plug it in my dryer plug. It welds pretty good. But I guess the arc welders aren't good for thin stuff. I bought mine to make winch bumpers and other heavy parts.

5. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

I have a Lincoln weld pak 3200 (home depot special) that I use for sheet metal and anything small. I also have a Linde older than dirt arc welder I use for big stuff it's 250amp and cost me $35.00 at an auction. I see these old arc welders (lincoln 225 tombstone looking one etc.) for under $100 on a regular basis at garage sales and auctions and they are great for welding big stuff.

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

What do you guys consider "big stuff"? I have used my lincoln 100 for everything, including perches, and never had any issues?

7. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. Though I haven't welded stuff like that yet (I'm still practicing) I'm pretty sure with some beveling it would weld 1/2 inch.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have the older than dirt lincoln electric ac/dc 240v and love it.... I can crank that baby up..... however I only ran a 30A breaker and wire to suite... (home automation in progress - will be able to shut welder off so kids cant play with it)..... I cant do small stuff with it but there is a kit I can buy to do small stuff....
    my output range is 30-125A DC, 40-225A AC

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=2494

p.s. mine was free so I couldnt pass it up...:bow:

9. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

So it seems that the majority are using stick. I've tried it a couple times, but suck at it. I can MIG, TIG, do aluminum, etc, but I can't stick. I can't keep the end off the material. :doah:

I'd really like to have a MIG, cause I've got some sheet metal projects in mind, and don't want to have to have two different machines.

10. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Go with a small 220V mig, like a Lincoln SP-175T or similar with gas. If you ever do anything work with thin metals or body panels, stick welders just won't cut it. You may have to fork out more cash at the start, but it will pay off. You always get what you pay for.

11. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Yup, and going cheap will ALWAYS come back to haunt you later. Or at least make you give your welder to new more deserving buddy when you upgrade!

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

HAH that is the problem.... stick WILL CUT IT.. the panel that is due to the extreme voltage :haha:

From what I am hearing.. mig is good.... but anything for heavy duty people are saying stick...my father said that a true stick welder can perform the most unbelievable welds..... I bird sh1t weld with my arc... however I dont care about looks.. as long as they hold....

I had my heat up too high and was melting my tube bumper... turned it down a bit and viola....

also if your having a problem with the tip sticking to the material... that means you dont have the arc welder turned up enough on the amps... Also I have AC and DC on my welder.. I have found DC to be the best (for me and my crap style welding)

test metal.. didnt even grind it to clean it up... JUST BURN IT BABY!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I just bought a Lincoln SPL-175 and I couldn't be happier. I went from a 110 SPL-135 and this welds so much better. Especially on 3/16 and 1/4 stuff.

14. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Exactly what I was looking for. :bow: Where did you get yours and how much? There's quite a few on Ebay, but if there's a cheaper alternative....