Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welder???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78k20, Mar 12, 2004.

1. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

I'd like to start building some of my own projects and such, but have no idea what kind of a welder would be good to start out with. I had a welding class in college some years ago, where we used mostly those small "hot box" things from Lincoln. We did use some larger models and some arc as well, but mostly those little guys for smaller stuff. I'm not "good" by any means, but felt I could handle the wirefeed type much easier than arc welding, though I know it gets better penetration for thicker materials. I built a tailgate/ramp for my tailer with an arc welder, but the welds were pretty ugly. What type/size of welder would be good to start out with? How thick of steel should it be able to go through, and how about the duty cycle? Some guys at work said to find something in the 60% range, but I haven't seen too many above about 30% duty cycle, except for the ones that are thousands of dollars. Do those little Lincoln "hot box" things work OK, last OK?-you can get them anywhere for around $500. Are they strong enough for welding on material as thick as frames? I won't be welding on my frame for any reason any time soon, but I want something that should I need too, I would be able too-after much practice of course. What type/size are you all using, about how much would it cost, and have you been happy with it? I won't be welding every day, just occassional projects and such, so I don't need any big industrial type machines-at least I don't think so anyway-just something that will work good in a shop for occassional use when you need it.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Mike

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive got a Lincoln SP-170T. Works very well for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

you can pick up a nice arc AC/DC welder for under $500 that can do almost everything you will need. Even the 20%duty cycle welders i have used i have never gotten to shut down on me. Unless you plan to weld long continuous beads its not anything to worry about. Just spend some time practicing at it. MIG is very easy but more expensive initialy and with the added cost of gas and other items such as tips.

Anyways......start with a stick welder . Get to know what numbers on electrodes mean and how to use them to your advantage and weld away:)

4. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Call your local machine/weld shops they often will sell there setups after putting some use in them my buddy bought a mig welder for 300 and its really nice. We just used it to put pans in his 66 Crustang worked REAL well.

5. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys, a buddy of mine who works for a local government agency said they're going to be selling several pallets full of their welders and other equipment here pretty quick at some auction. I guess since he works there, he gets first pick of whatever he wants and at next to nothing as well. Just hope he sees something that will work now, could save a bunch of cash!

Thanks again,

Mike