Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welders: Millermatic 175 or 210???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I know welders have been somewhat covered on here but it has come time for me to buy mine and I was set on the 175 but now I am hearing that the duty cycle is not very long on it and to go with a bigger model. So then I am now looking at the 210 but it's twice the price. All I'm doing is rock sliders, a lot of tube welding 2" DOM .120 wall, and just standard stuff. If the 210 is really worth getting then I can wait for another paycheck or two and get it. But if the 175 will do everything I want to do then I would rather get that and start saving for my bender. So what do you guys think... Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It is always best to buy more than you think you will need, it is inevitable that once you make your purchase you will soon wish you bought the larger unit.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have the 210 and use it hard. I don't ever hit the duty cycle and almost wish I had purchased the 175 for its portability. The 210 is massive and heavy, my only gripe.

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I bought a 175 a while back and it's great for me. I can weld 1/4" steel at half the output power using flux cored wire. I've never hit the duty cycle on it. One thing I liked about the 210 is that it has a spool gun controller built into it, so if you just need to buy the spool gun. If you're adding a spool gun to a 175 you need the spool gun and a separate controller box (but still is cheaper than the 210). For what you'll be doing, I think a 175 would be plenty. The 175 is 73lbs compared to the 200lbs of the 210.. what a beast! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have a 175 and it works great. Remember unless you do production work chances are you will never hit the duty cycle. I used my 175 pretty hard last week for a few hours and never came close to the duty cycle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I love my 175. I would go to a 210 only to get an aluminum spool gun. It also has a slightly smoother arc, but the extra capacity and borderline ability to go into spray transfer, but is not generally needed for anything we do. I put down around 40 linear inches of weld (on 2 pieces so that was twice) at near wide open welding 1/4 and 5/16 plate recently and never hit the duty cycle at 110* ambient in my shop. I did feel/hear the arc getting fuzzy near the end of the second piece where I had my "run" down pat, but that was it. There is generally more than enough time between changing angles, reclamping, etc. to keep the 175 off the duty cycle.

7. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have the 175 and it is a good welder save the $ and get the 175 and go with the shild gas

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

every welder I asked said 'get the biggest you can afford'

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i gotta 210 and it fawking rocks. it will weld any thing i ever need to weld. i looked at it this way if i'm gonna throw major coin at a welder i want it to do anything i will ever need to. not that i'll need to but if i want to weld something 1/2" thick i can.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    every welder I asked said 'get the biggest you can afford'

[/ QUOTE ]

mj has it down. Thats the only advice you need. I've been earning my duckets for the past few years as a welder, so I qualify to make that statement.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you got the coin go for the 210 but you probably wouldn't ever run the 175 to it's limit. I have a Hobart Handler 175. It's a Cheaper Miller 175. I have built a 5x10 trailer out of 2x3 box and never ran it over it's duty cycle. Sort of wish I had a 210 but only for the aluminum spool gun. I have a Airstream trailer I am restoring and it would be nice to have that conveinence. I haven't checkd to see if I can adapt a spool gun to my 175 yet. Hope I can.

12. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Can someone explain to me the whole deal with the spoolgun. So you can only weld aluminum with the spoolgun? How do they work? What is their purpose, what advantages do they have over the normal wire feed? Thanks.
    -fLeXy K20

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

spoolgun is a device for making ugly blobs of aluminum

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    spoolgun is a device for making ugly blobs of aluminum

[/ QUOTE ]
    hahahahaha

Aluminum is much softer then normal wire used for steel welding. It doesn't feed very well with a conventional mig style set up. What a spool gun does is has the spool of wire in the head of the torch so it only has to feed a couple inches.

15. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

So you cannot weld alumnium without it? Hmm now I'm wondering if I'm going to be welding any alumnium...
    -fLeXy K20

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think any good aluminum welding should be TIGed anyway
    but it could be I havent seen any good welders weilding a spool gun

17. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

You can weld aluminum with either the 175 or 210. You'll need the Miller Spoolmate 3035 Spool Gun no matter which model you pick. If you have the 175 you will need the SGA100 Spool Controller box as well. The 210 model has the Spool Controller built in. You can get the Spool gun for about $400, and the Spool controller for about $200. You can use the spool gun for any type of welding, not just aluminum.