Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welders on E-Bay...

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 3, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

There are a plethora of welders on ebay, and I was wondering if these $86.00 auctions are worth the money, or if they are a PoS...

Here's the link... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45032&item=7503929514&rd=1

It looks like a refurbished Clarke welder, but I could be wrong... what do you guys think?

*EDIT*
    By the way, I'm looking at these welders because I want to learn on something inexpensive, and plan to do my own tubing and re-flooring of my blazer... If this is the wrong tool for what I want to do, please tell me.

As far as I know, I won't be working on anyhting thicker than 3/16" steel.

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Save some more money and buy a good entry level Lincoln.

3. PhoenixZorn

How will that save me more? I just had my wife look for welders while she was at Home Depot, and the cheapest Lincoln she found was $240, and didn't come with the gas bottle... the flux core welder at HD was $350.

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

He means save up some more money and get a decent welder....

5. PhoenixZorn

Oh... yeah... heh... Now I get it.

6. LittlecountryK15

LittlecountryK15 Registered Member

all that welder would do it cause you problems anyways....its not of any quality at all..... :mad:

7. PhoenixZorn

Anything wrong with Campbell Hausfeld welders?? They have a 5 year warranty at the 'Depot, and are about $50.00 cheaper than the least expensive Lincoln... or would you sacrifice the extra 3 years of warranty to get the better quality of the Lincoln? Also wondering if I should get the MIG or Flux-Core setup...

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

get the mig, you can still run fluxcore wire in it till you can get a tank.

9. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

If you want to weld stay away from flux core. they do not penetrate as well as a gas unit and the welds are real hard to make pretty. The flux core wire splatters bad. save a few bucks more and buy a good unit such as a lincoln.

10. PhoenixZorn

according to the lincoln website, flux core gets deeper than mig and can weld thicker metal... yet you say the exact opposite... yeah, it's messy, but if I want to weld 1/4" steel with 115v, I can only do that with fluxcore

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my clarke 130EN says i can weld 3/16", but inreality ive welded 5/16" and had more than enough penetration with non flux core wire.

and yes flux core wire has better penetration.

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I bought the 200.00 C.H. welder at walmart... It got the job done I guess, and if I really tried the welds could look decent, not to mention its walmart, so the return policy is awsome!

Now I have a miller 130 with the gas, I love it, its a night and day difference, but the CH got me by for 2 years on flux, so I wont knock it and the welds have held up so far,

I say call around for companies that repair welders, they usually have refurbished ones for great deals :D Or for a cheap starter welder, with a great return policy,,go to wally world :waytogo:

13. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

That looks like my Chicago Electric welder I got at Harbor Frieght for 100 bones. It does alright for what it is I like it. Its not the best but for what i paid for it, I can't complain.

14. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I spent $500 on my Lincoln SP-100 back in 92'...
    The welder came complete with guages, tank, guages, wire and a mask.

$350 is cheap for a REAL welder...

Most cheap welders get you later...when you have to replace parts. :crazy:

15. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Not looking to step on any toes here :o
    I have a LOT of expearance with flux core welding, and welding in general with all but a tig. The machine U are looking @ is OK for a starter, and for the price (a friend of mine got one from that seler about 3mo ago). But the problem U will have is that it's better at welding 1/8" to 1/4" than sheet metal. It will burn holes in it alot untill U get the hang of it. A M.I.G. with gas can weld sheet metal much better (can do it cooler) and U can use flux core in allmost any mig machine untill U can aford a tank (if it comes without).
    The big problem with the low end machines like that one is the dutie cycle. That machine is only 12% @ 80amps, IE: it will only run a bead for about 90-120 seconds before U have to stop and let the machine cool for 5-10 min.
    And yes, flux core is ugly, but it penitrates better and with practice it can look very good.

16. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

I will second the comment about the sheet metal. It is very easy to burn through with that welder.

17. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I leased my tank from a welding supply place for $130. for 5 years(that =$2.16 a month) plus the cost of filling. So the cost of getting a tank was not as bad I was expecting. I don't remember what size tank it is but I have about 6 hours use on it and its half full. I do know its not the biggest tank they had, more like second from the smallest.
    Phoenix, your house is wired with 220 to the box so add an outlet to the side of it and make an extension cord to get to the welder. cost me $50. plus parts from Home Depot.
    Good luck
    George

18. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

i have tried several "cheap" welders. Most of the 1-200 machines are ok with flux cored wire for 12guage and up to about 3/16, They just burn through anything thinner, and even on the thick stuff they are not as nice as a better machine.

I own a home depot lincoln. Its the most expensive one they sold the 3200 I think. It was around 500 and came with the gas regultor and some 0.023 solid wire(no tank)

I also work with a few professional miller and lincoln machines.

The 3200 is a great machine for the price and automotive work. Its actually identical to the lincoln 175 or something. Basically the one that sells for around 800 at most welding shops. First the 3200 series works on 110. No special AC hookup. Really nice voltage regulator and phase control. The arc is constant even with an extension cord and other equipment running or poor metal quality. Thats what you are paying for besides the brand name.

As for its ability when I first started it burned through everthing thinner than 12 guage, and it splattered the rest. I ran out and bought a tank of 75 /25 to use the thinner 0.023 wire. Still burned a little but much less and much cleaner

With a little practice here's what I have learned.

Flux cored 0.035 works great for everything automotive. 16 guage-1/4 are no problem. You have to be carefull on the thinner stuff, and adjust your feed rate and your hand speed, but the machine works well. With flux cored you will need to have a wire brush handy to clean the slagg. A drill and wire wheel work real well. The weld quality itself is very good under the slagg.

As for gas or flux cored. Flux cored is cheaper to use. My tank was 120 plus about 35 to fill. If you use gas you have to keep filling it back up. Fyi don't buy a little tank you will be out of gas in 20 min. Spend the extra mony and buy a decent sized tank. As for penetration. gas or flux have little difference.

Its the wire diamater and welding current that matter. What lincoln is describing in there manual is the 0.023 wire is thinner and requires gas to shield it. Since its thinner it will not hold as much current before melting so less burning through and less penatration on thick metal.

0.035 flux cored wire is thicker. So it can handle more current and make a deeper weld. If you use a similar diamater wire with gas you will get equal weld depth and penetration. If you go with bigger wire, and more current, even deeper weld.

btw when talking about arc welding Gas is for shielding the arc. It does not burn or make the metal hot.
    Electricity does all the work of making heat.

Finally get an auto darkening helmet. either a cheap one from ebay or a good one from a welding shop. So much nicer to see where you are going to start the arc than trying to fight the flip lids. Personally a cheap one is fine as long as you have a shade control knob. 9,10,12,13 different lens adjustment is nice if you switch from low current to high alot.

19. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I'm not the most experienced welder so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with flux core I believe you use DCEN which gives you better penetration than DCEP which I think is what is recomended for MIG.

At least I believe that is what my welding teacher used to say about electrode neg and electrode pos stick welding...

20. PhoenixZorn

Awesome... thanks for the detailed reply... I'll be saving up for a few weeks to get a Lincoln now, and I'll be going gas as soon as I can. I'm likely getting a full rust free tub soon, so I'll have plenty of time to practice on my truck.