Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welders - Trailers?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by botboy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, I'm embarking on a project to build a mobile welding/fabrication trailer, and I'm curious to see others setups and advice.

My welder is a lincoln Ranger 10-LX, weights about 1100 lbs, I already have the welder, a trailer axle (leaf sprung, good for about 3500 lbs), leaf hangers, and a class III trailer head good for a 2" ball, 1000 lb tongue & 3500 overall wt.

I'm thinking as far as requirements, this things gotta hold the ranger, a lincoln weld-pak 100 (110v mig), LN-8 feeder, miller HF-1S-WG arc starter, gas bottles (for now just argon, later add oxy & acetyl) and a toolbox to hold some tools, cables, manuals, consumables rods etc.

Eventually maybe going to add a 25-50 gallon compressor and my lincoln pro-cut plasma cutter

the trailers here at school (with miller rigs on them, lucky bastards) all have reels (like you'd have with a garden hose) to hold the work & electrode cables, I was thinking that'd be a great idea but instead of just those two add 2 more for air & 110V power.

So anyway, I'd like to see some pics of the welding trailers/truck boxes you gentlemen (and women) have for your setups, and the pros and cons of such a setup.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Im just finsihing up my second mobile shop welding trailer... using all of what I learned building the first one...

The first one used a service body box and a 5 k axle with 16 inch 10 ply tires... I overloaded it right away once it was fully equipped... and the brakes didnt even slow it down.. plus it was short and was squirrely
    12hp compressor/ranger 10/ oxy acect argon bottles/ln 25/ bender/multiple toolboxes , air and gas reels... lots of welding cable... so I pulled it apart and sold it keeping all the equipment

The second trailer is a 14 foot dual axle 3500# each/brakes both axles... it tows like a dream and has way more equipment on it.... when the rain stops Ill post up some pics here and the garage and get some feedback on it during the final upfitment... it will have 110 and 12 v power and use the vehs batteries for starting the comp and welder (I went through batteries while the welding trailer sat so designed this into the new one)

I think you'll like the design

cam

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

posting pics in the garage...see them there