Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WELDERS... What about Gasless?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5thatShmobs, Oct 2, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Im purchasing a welder soon, and Ive been seeing some gasless models on the market... Does anyone know how they compare to traditional gas welders?

Thanks

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

You just need to use flux-core wire. I have a wire-feed welder and haven't hooked up the gas. I have been able to do whatever I wanted to my blazer without gas.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have the gasless wirefeed from sears and it works great for small stuff like sheetmetal and i havent tried it on thick stuff yet but it seems that it would be alright for stuff that doesnt have too much stress on it.plus it was only 200 dollars and a new spool of wire for it is onlt 12 bucks down at the hardware store. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

I have a mig & I always use it gasless. It is fine on body pannels & I did a weld on a body mount pearch & it went fine.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Mine's a Lincoln WeldPak 100. I bought the gas coversion kit for it, but it's still in the box in the garage. I've had excellent results with using the flux-core wire. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Lincoln makes a bigger one now. I think it's the WeldPak 155. If you can afford it, it's capable of welding heavier stuff than the 100 can do.

6. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I sent you a PM. I hope it helps you with your purchase. Let me know if you have any questions.

7. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

my vote is for the Lincoln 251 with argon mix

8. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif gettiing my welders mixed up. I was talking about the Millermatic 210. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

MillerMatic 210. Does anything you want. Can also be used to weld aluminium with the spool gun. Theres a good right up on offroad.com by Depdog

10. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Gasless leaves a lot of splatter. With gas you have a better looking weld. It is not any stronger, but it sure looks better

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a Sears gasless/MIG welder also.
    I just came in from doing some mig welds on my doors (where I had some stress cracks.)
    MIG welds are a helluva prettier than flux core!
    But I'm having a problem. I kept blowing holes in the door. Small one, yes, and I fix them by welding up the holes. But I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    I have the voltage set on 1, which is the lowest available and is also what the guide recommends for 24 g sheetmetal.
    I tried wire speed all the way from 1 to about 6, and I still have holes randomly.
    I think my problem may be with the wire tension. I'm at a loss as to how tight it should be. Both on the roll of wire and also on the knob that presses down on the wire where it enters the spool feed thing.
    I'm sure they are both too loose now because Ikept loosening them when I had 'stumbles' when the wire was feeding during welding.
    I need to find my owner's manual for the thing because when I set it up for flux core I followed the steps and I didn't have this problem...
    -- Mike

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can't run a continuous bead on 24-20 gauge material. I usually do 1/2"-1" and then move elsewhere and do the same. Anything more than that overheats the material too much and causes distortion as well as burn through.

Rene

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

when i adjust mine it doesnt have to have but a little tension on it to keep the wire in the runner on the wheel the tensioner sits against.when you pull on the wire on the other side it should still come out but have just a little tension.if you dont have the gas in the mig,you are supposed to use the flux core wire so that it burns right when you start to weld.this may be why you are burning holes if you are not using flux core wire.this is what im told so dont quote me.i think maybe you are hitting the metal all in one place to hard.when welding the sheetmetal it gets really hot at the point of contact.so if you are welding a long line maybe 3 inches or so it is best tospot weld the ends of the crack and then work your way in so you dont heat up trhe metal so much in one spot.i was getting the same effect until my buddy told me that.