Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welders, yeah we've done iit before, got a different question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 3, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Welders, yeah we\'ve done iit before, got a different question.

Went to the welding store today and started pricing out new units. want to get a 175 220V machine for myself. Compared three, Hobart, Miller, and Lincoln. Guy at the store said since Miller owns Hobart and through his experience he feels you are just buying the name. THe Hobart machine was the cheapest at $559(machine, gun, regulator). Anyone have experience with the Hobart to back his statements? I've always used Lincolns and wanted the lincoln 175, he quoted me $665 for the Miller 175 and said the Lincoln would be about the same, then came in $100 less for the Hobart, my ears perked up.

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: Welders, yeah we\'ve done iit before, got a different question.

all i can add to this is that i have a miller 175 and i like it it seems like a tough little MIG

3. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

I second what Ramjet, said, I have one and still strong after three years of abuse.
    Check here, http://store.cyberweld.com/milmigwel.html
    your getting a pretty good price from what I can tell.
    Gorrilla /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Miller has some better quality components, but it's basically the same as the Hobart. Main thing is the drive unit. Cast Aluminum in Miller, plastic in the Hobart. Miller is upgraded for professional quality and durability day in and out, the Hobart saves some change and targets the hobby and home shop market. Hobart is a great unit and if the drive ever fails (not likely if you take care of it) then you can bolt the "Miller" unit right in. If the Miller is close (due to sales like when I got mine) I would go Miller. If there is much diff, I would go Hobart...

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i did the welder comparo awhile back....i ended up getting the millermatic175....and i paid the extra hundred due to the fact my current welder at the time was a miller sidekick...i abused it for almost 12 years...it never gave me any trouble...so i went with what i considered the better quality parts in the miller....

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I got the Miller 175 for the same reason as Russ. It was on sale when I bought it and came with a free cart. It was still a bit more then the Hobart but I felt it was very worth it. If I hadn't found the miller on sale I would have bought the hobart.

The only difference is plastic vs aluminum drive wheels and click vs infinate adjustment on the amperage. From what I have heard it you want to do alot of thin sheet metal the infinate adjustment will come in handy...otherwise you just fine tune with the wire feed rate.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I have a millermatic 210 and its badass. I know its more machine than you're looking for and I'm not an experienced welder or anything but I am very impressed with my machine.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its not more machine than I want its just more $$ than I can spend. and as for the sheetmetal thing, dad has 2 110 Lincolns, a 135 and a 100, so those are great for sheetmetal work.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd get the Lincoln. After using them all extensively it's still by far the best brand of machine I've used. We have Miller's at the place I work now and they're 'OK', but I'd take a Lincoln over any of them in a heartbeat. Every Miller I've used starts 'cold', which isn't quite so apparent until you have used a Lincoln.

Hobart; I've never found one that I liked or had any luck with. Every Hobart I've ever used has been a PITA and a POS.

Just my two cents

Rene

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I told my dad the differences you guys mentioned and he agreed I should go for at least the miller. Likely if I'm gonna spend the extra $100 I will go with the lincoln. I've always used Lincolns, always liked them, never had a problem that I didn't create, and I just like them, besides the Miller would look odd next to my dad's 3 lincolns /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can also find lincoln parts at home depot. An awsome tool is only great till you have to special order some crap in the middle of a project.

just my little .02

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't understand why you want a big expensive MIG anyway. If I already had a 110 volt MIG welder I'd be buying an AC buzz box that will be capable of welding 1/2" plate for 1/3 the cost of another MIG.

Granted MIG makes much cleaner welds....but you've got a 110 for the light duty stuff and to make pretty welds in thin stuff. Just get yourself a stick welder for the thick stuff.

I intend on getting a 175 MIG so I can use it for everything--because as of now I have no welder at all. If I had a 135, I wouldn't spend $600 just to get a 175 amp model....I'd just buy a stick welder instead.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hey tim think of this, I'm 18 and still living at home. I am starting to purchase tools for myself. As of now 85% of what I use is my dad's. I am buying the welder so that I have it now while I still have my dad's welders but also so I have it whenever I Move out and don't have his stuff.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In that case sounds like a plan to me. My dad doesn't have squat, so most of the tools I have, I bought myself. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My dad was a self-employed carpenter so he had just about every tool for building things with wood. Also he worked on vehicles alot, so we have 4 sets of wrenches, and almost 4 full sets of sockets, and other do-dods. The only thing he never had is metal working tools, just a 135 welder.

So all that is mine now that he's passed /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I might just get a nice stick welder, then if I get into welding alot, I'll pick up a bigger MIG welder and whatnot.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my dad is the exact same scenario, minus one part, sorry man. Hes a self employed carpenter that works on cars often, one thing nice is, his uncle owns a body shop and he worked there when he was young so he has been into body work for a long time so we have misc metal working tools. He doesn't have some stuff I need, like the bigger mig and a real tube bender. Those are the next two tools on my list. I know he will use both of them as well /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow, so he has quite a few years of experiance working with bodywork on vehicles? That's pretty awesome. The 2 tools next on my list (except for air compressor and tools) are a stick welder, and possibly a plasma cutter. If I have the money. Probaly not though /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

After the bender its, my own air tools, grinders, sawzall, and lots of misc hand tools. Won't buy a compressor till I do finally move out, if I even end up moving somewhere I could use a compressor(aka house not apartment).

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What kind of bender are you getting?

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status