Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welders!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by johnathan, Jun 17, 2006.

1. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

O.K.so I'm about to start school,for a welding diploma.I wanted to get outfitted with a welder and torch etc. I know absolutely nothing about welding,but while I have the money I wanted to get equipped.I want good equip.I don't want to skimp.Any advice or suggestions to steer me in the right direction

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Absolutely......

WAIT to purchase your equipment until you have tried several brands at the school
    BUY the best quality auto darkening helmet you can.. that you like.. and fits YOUR head.. probably around 250.00...
    BUY the best quality welding gauntlet gloves you can , probably around 15.00
    Get a home depot 5 gal bucket... put the bucket tool bag on it... that will hold your helmet and gloves and the tape measure, adjustable wrench, EYE protection, EAR protection... I like the foam plugs, they dont get in the way, a welding cap,multi tool, chalk/sharpies, notebook
    this is how professional welders and pipe fitters start out in my school.. adding their personal stuff along the way.. its an easy way to keep your stuff organized... remember to mark EVERYTHING with your name ...

As to equipment.. wait until you have some experience and then you can make an informed choice... it will probably be miller or lincoln for a welder.. and victor for some torches...
    As a professional welder expect to spend about 2k for a good 220v machine and some basic torches...
    Purchasing your bottles is better than renting over the long term... I own all of mine.. I have about 10 bottles.. and at 6-10 dollars a month owning them has long since paid off

cam

3. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

Great input Thanks!

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Hobart welders are pretty nice too.