Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blzr83, May 6, 2002.

1. blzr83

blzr83 Registered Member

Hey all. I'm about 90% on this decision, just wanted to see what you all thought. I think I have to turn down the Hobart Handler 175 that I want because it's too much of a pain right now to figure out the 220v wiring while I'm renting. I'm looking at the HH 135 instead. My question is this: the craftsman professional is advertised to weld 1/4" in a single pass whereas the HH 135 is only advertised to do 3/16". I've used a 135 before and it seems to be powerful enough for .120 tubing (what I will mainly be working with) and it just seems like a more solid machine. The craftsman looks kinda cheesy. Anyway, I would love to hear what you all have to think. Thanks!

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i would stay with the 175. how about yur dryer is it electiric you could make a long extension cord it might be $$ but you'll like that 175 a whole lot better than that 135

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got 40 foot and 20 foot extension cords for my welder and they work great. While I was living in Charleston for a little while I had to run off a dryer plug and it worked great. Now that I'm back home I just use them to get the welder farther out in the driveway.

Ask the welding shop how much per foot they sell the cord for. From what I've seen at the shops I've been to it's usually about $1.50/ft for 6/3 drop cord. So for the price of the cord and a couple plugs from Home Depot you can have a 20 foot cord for about $50.