Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMC, May 9, 2002.

1. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I need to get a good 110 volt welder. Anyone have any recommendations? I know I should be getting a 220 welder, but I don't have 220 in the garage yet. Thanks.

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Get a 220. Do you have a dryer out in garage? That is what I use. My 110 Lincoln 135 MIG is good for 1/4 and less, but duty cycle isn't as good as I would like to get good deep penetration with good bead lenght.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a Century 110 mig I use. It does a good job for me. I use flux core wire with it. I weld all kinds of crap with it. Mine works well on anything uo to 5/16 inch with one pass. Make sure you get one with a varible wire speed knob and a varible heat setting know. The ones that have "high, medium, and low" just are not near as effective on automobile uses. Welding is all based on basic skill. There is not too much you will need a 220 set up for on a vehicle. Try to get something with more than a 10% duty cycle though. The one I have I bought from Sam's, it came with the regulators and cart if I ever decide to use gas. I do a lot of welding outdoors so gas is not the way to go for me. (with the mig). After you get the mig welder you are going to want a plasma cutter, believe me.

John

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I was in the same boat as you, no 220 at this house I was renting. So i went to Sears and bought a 110mig. I used it, tried to learn it, wife had a baby, then stored it......I finnaly bought my own house, still haven't figured out how to use the 110mig, and I knew it was for thin stuff and I wanted a REAL welder that could doit all.
    So I went Old School!!! and bought a Lincoln AC/DC 220 buzz box stick welder! Shoot I was runnin beads in no time on whatever thickness metal I had layin around! Killer penitration and easy to follow puddle. I still totaly suck at welding but hey at leaset I can doit now. I still have that 110 mig welder and mabie some day I will use it again, mabie to make wind chimes or something/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif!
    save your money and get a real welder that has a much wider span of capabilies. Ho and as for duty cycle that Lincoln can weld all day long..........just don't let the wife use the dryer or dishwasher at the same time.......
    Good Luck

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I would almost promise you that you'd be dissapointed with the 110 welders. And Burt has a point about the old buzz boxes....However, it does take a bit more skill and patience to be good with a rod, than it does to be good with a wire welder. Having used both extensively over the past 5 or 6 years, and this is of course if you have 220....I would really reccomend a 220 MIG welder at a minumum of 175 amps. 200 would be best. They are expensive, but worth the money. If ya get a bigger one, then you won't have to worry about if your welder will handle the job you have in mind. We use Miller 250's, 250MP's, and 250 X's at work....With .035 wire and 25/75 gas, we weld 3/8's with one pass. We also weld all the way down to 14 gauge sheet metal. Versitillity is what it's all about. These welders are almost $2000....Unfortuneatley out of my price range for the time being......But one day I'll pick one up.
    Anyways, Point being, get the absolute best and most powerful welder you can afford. Don't skimp. Good, well known brands and all. You won't regret it.