Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5blazerus, Mar 31, 2003.

1. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

What welders do you guys use to fab stuff .
    Colin

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm still using an old Lincoln AC225 arc welder

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I struck my first arc the other day. Bought me a lincoln 100HD for my birthday. Flux core now hope to convert to gas shielding on father's day.

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Miller MillerMatic 210 MIG

argh argh!!!!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

7. hoosierk3500

hoosierk3500 Registered Member

Got a Lincoln buzz box,mine has DC,nice for runnin 7018.Also got a little Clarke 110 mig for thin stuff.Almost forgot about the 200 amp Lincoln weld&power,you can throw that in the bed of the truck and have a real onboard welder. Jason 84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

lincoln 255 mig
    lincoln 275 tig

9. fauxshox

fauxshox Registered Member

Miller XMT 304 with S22-A wirefeeder, Miller Shopmaster 300 with S22A wire feeder, Millermatic 200 MIG and Miller 250x Mig...........to name a few

10. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You sir are a Miller whore!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I dig Miller. I've got the 375 Plasma as well. I love it...

11. fauxshox

Got a few Lincolns too, but for the most part I prefer Miller equipment......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

Hobart 175, and I love it.

13. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

14. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Big a$$ Miller w/ stand alone wire feed center.

15. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color="purple"> since you seem to be the ole mighty miller whore ,,,duty cycle duty cycle duty cycle !!!!
    what the heck does that mean. i've been glancing the welder add's lately myself along with the plasma cutters and about every welder list's a duty cycle of like 30% @ 190 amp's ????? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif what is it ?

also,,is it really worth the $500 for the really small welding end,,the one with the lil tiny spool attached ?
    this is something i want to get this summer,but i do NOT want a small, el cheapo welder. i want to eventually be fabbing my own stuff,,cages,bumpers,body panels, and anything else i can think of so i want one that can do it all,,affordably,,and last many year's.</font>

16. fauxshox

Duty cycle is the period of time during a 10 min. cycle that the machine will operate efficently. So a machine that has a 30% duty cycle will operate efficiently 3 min. out of 10. Now of course one has to take into account the specs of the machine. If the duty cycle is 30% at say 50 amps that is pretty poor but if the same duty cycle is at 120 amps or in your example 190 amps then this is much better. What this means is if you are welding below the parameters of the duty cycle say 90 amps( when the machine is rated @ 30%@ 120amps) then you actually have an effective duty cycle that is higher as you are not welding near the max of the duty cycle.

For most home use any of the 220/230 volt machines should be more than adequate. Lincoln recently came out with a new 200 amp machine and Miller recently came out with a 210 amp machine. I have welded off of both and they are both very adequate machines. Hope this helps some. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Richard

17. mirage

mirage Registered Member

I've got a lincoln 225AC arc welder and a Craftsman Mig. With them I've made some el-cheapo bumpers (selling the rig, needed to get rid of the stock bent ones) (arc), huge roof rack (mostly arc, got mig in the middle of this project), most of some smokers (55 gallon drum kind) (mig), repaired a shock mount (arc). If you want some pics of the projects they're at
    http://www.jaredsgarage.com/gallery/projects
    Oh yeah, fabbed up a mouse pad for a keyboard tray (welded aluminium with steel wire /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif )
    I could probably have done it all with the Arc, but the Mig is just so much fun to use! It also makes welding the light metals a real joy instead of worrying about burning holes all the time.

18. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color="purple"> YOU DA MAN ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    that makes it easier knowing what the heck duty cycle actually meant,,lol.once i get settled into my place and can find a shop to work out of i wanna start doing some big (er) project's. i have welded for year's using a 25 year old lincoln stick welder.i can weld pretty much anything with a 60 or 7013 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    i've had to do it all like that since nothing else was ever available to me round here.
    </font>