Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding 1-Ton Eaton Spider-gears?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OrangeCrushK10, Jan 3, 2005.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Is it possible? Anybody done it? I haven't dug into my Eaton yet, but I was wondering, if they're similar to the 14bolt FF like everybody says then it would seem that I can.

Any other thoughts on the subject, or should I just end up gutting the Eaton and replacing the internals with 14bff stuff?

Post me up some thoughts!

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

weld away!

:grin:

3. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

whats the diff. (no pun intended) between the two? and what years and models where they used in?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the eaton is course spline and 12"ring gear. the 14 ff is fine spline and 10.5" ring gear. if you need a locked rear then find a factory locker its a detroit unit. friend has run 1 for the last 20 years with 38 TSLs and to many motors to list . no major problems. he said basicly 2 ratios 4.10 4.56 and half where lockers also. possible other ratios. hard to find parts for the rockwell eaton units tho. so be carfull thay are tuff tho.:cool1:

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

72 and down had the eaton, I cant remember when they started apearing though, was a decent run though. Here is az yard are littered with handfuls of beat up 67-72 long bed 2wds

many to be found, if you have it run it, same/similar set up to 14 bolt. But 14 bolts can be had for cheap too if you wait around 75.00 and up. I like the eaton for the drop our design, I have a 4.10 and 4.56 set up. If I want to swap back to 4.56 it is easy as pie. Get a set of spare spiders if you have concerns though.