Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding 14BFF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chosen1, Jun 10, 2002.

1. chosen1

chosen1 Registered Member

Good Morning from Cudahy Wisconsin. I recently saw a feature on making a 14BFF a locker, By welding the spider gears in 4 spots. Has any one tried this? How durable is it? Will it handle similar to my Jeep CJ7 with a Lockrite in the rear on the road? It sounds like a very good idea. I'm just looking for some feedback. Thanks for your time!!! chosen1

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you do a search on this you will find that lots of people on this bord have welded diffs and they do work good as with anything there are pros and cons /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I welded my 14 bolt FF in Dec 2000. My Jimmy is a daily driver.

Pro's...almost $0 investment, great off road traction
    Con's...rear tire wear increased, tight parking spots can be a PITA.

I have a spare set of spiders so I can always go back to running it open, or buy a Detroit eventually. My options are open because the carrier itself isn't welded.

Overall I hardly notice it anymore, but it does take some getting used to. More steering input is required in any turn...but it is very predictable.

rene

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

That's how mine is welded. It doesn't lock and unlock so it's a little more predictable than a locker. There is a little more tire wear and people look at you funny in the parking lots when you are turning and your tires chirp, but I like it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

You get some understeer, but you get used to it. If you tow alot of weight with it often, I wouldn't recomend it though.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a detroit in mine and i agree it is fun sometims to make the tires chirp when turning when people are around lol /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status