Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding 14FF Spiders or D60 Spiders??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Jun 24, 2004.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I read the how-to on the 14FF spider welding and was wondering if it is OK to do the same thing to my 60 spiders. I really don't want to weld to the carrier because i would like to eventually get a lock-right in there when the money becomes available.

BTW. I have a spare set of spiders so i could always switch back if it sucks or brakes on me.

Any comments or personal experience??

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

3. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Make sure it is a temperary thing because I have herd of alot of people with long term (as in 6 months) problems with that setup.

But I don't even know if you are going to be able to do it. The carriers are a totaly different design. The 14bolt splits ware the dana 60 has an axcess hole. You may not even be able to get the gears back in the carrier once they are welded.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Look here Clickety

I know the carriers are a different design. I have set up gears many times before. I am going to weld the low points between the spiders and then slide them into the D60 carrier just like you would if they were not welded.
    Just wondering if anyone else has done it before, and what they think about doing it.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just curious, but how are you going to get them out when you decide to put your lock right in?

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Remove the pin and slide the gears out the same way i put them in. Click on the link and you will (should) understand the way i am thinking about doing it. Unles i am explaining it wrong.

Either way i am going to get it done soon and i will take a few pics to share. And....as soon as i break it i will let you all know not to do it the way i did /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I welded mine up that way for the same reason just till I get a real locker it works great and is not hard to steer like everyone says it is. I do have cross over steering but not hydro yet. Parts are on order for that. I say go for it.