Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding a 12 bolt gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HD, Dec 31, 2003.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

I was reading the tech article on 14-bolt axle welding and was wondering if that would work for my 12 bolt. If I do this I would carry an extra set of spider gears, just in case I broke something. So tell me what do you think.

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You'll probably most likely break something if you do it like that, especially if you drive on the street. IMO, you'd be better off to weld the spiders to the side gears and then weld the gears to the carrier. Be sure not to weld the cross pin, it will need to come out if you have to remove the axleshafts. You may still break something, but it will be a little less likely.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no, do not do that, go buy a posi unit for 12 bolt and have it put in

do notg weld gears for street use

that is a horrible no-no

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Welded 12 bolt on street with 31"+ tires: /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Welded 12 bolt off-road with 31" or smaller tires and weak engine: /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You will break something. Welding to the carrier is the strongest (or should I say less weak) way. But it makes a field swap with spider gears impossible (unless you have an extra carrier). Getting the c-clips out when you blow up an axle (and you will) is a pain too. It really is not worth it in my .02

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a posi and don't mess with welding because you say that you will carry extra spider gears...that won't help because usually when it breaks it destroys the whole pumpkin. It's not worth the hassle and tire wear, you will be time and probably money ahead to just get a good posi. THe reason people weld spiders in the 14BFF's is because those carriers and spiders can usually take the punishment of being locked unlike a much weaker 10 or 12B.

7. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Been there, done that. I would NOT recommend it. My 14B s/f broke within 30 days. The Detroit I have now is the better way to go.