Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding a 12 Bolt????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greenblazer-AZ, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Anybody have a welded 12 Bolt rear? Anybody have any input? I have 35" BFG Muds and do not plan to put bigger tires. It will be used on Rock Crawling trips occaisionally. I really only need it as a tempoary fix untill I swap in the 14 Bolt that I have. What I really need is to find a locker, but if I can't find one in time I might go the welded route.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The 12 bolt in my buddys 4x Camaro is welded.It has a built 454 and he does not baby it at all and he hasnt broken it yet.

If yer gonna swap it out later anyway I would do it.

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A friend of mines friend as had his weded for 3 years..And no problems.. I am going to do it to my trail rig....Dan

4. Greenblazer-AZ

Thanks for the info guys! I think this is the way I'm gonna go.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

What kind of on road manners can you expect from a welded diff? Where exactly do you place the welds? I assume you just weld the spider gears to the carrier, right? And lastly, Anyone got pics of a welded diff?
    hehe, sorry for all the questions...But I am really curious about this too. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

This is for a 14 bolt.. But I assume they are the same..
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.coloradok5.com/welded14bolt.shtml>http://www.coloradok5.com/welded14bolt.shtml</a>

7. Zeus33rd

I saw that article....Although I was under the impression that there was another way to do this? What are the pro's/con's of each technique? Mostly, what kinda on raod manners/quirks as compared to a Detroit?

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I just welded mine and i have to say the road manners are pretty good except around sharp corners and parking. and even that i kinda like---it barks around corners. your tires WILL wear quicker but if you rotate them regularly it will help. i had a detriot in my 10 bolt and it took a little getting used to. just driving down the street it would like to engage on me just outta the blue. as of right now im gonna have to say i like the welded approach but id have to say its is not for everyone. you also have to realize the "welded spider gear" is only as strong as the weld, and even then the gears a re heat treated so the instant you put that weld on there it diminishes the strength I welded mine as a "temporary" locker also but we will see how long it lasts.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 'other' way to do it is to weld anything that moves to the carrier/forums/images/icons/smile.gif My 14 bolt is welded like the article for a couple of resons. #1 is i can always revert back to open cheaply, #2 I can always drop in a detroit in place of the welded spiders. and #3 is that just welding the voids between the teeth puts a whole lot less heat into the heat treated parts. So far my 14 bolt has been welded for 15 months with over 15,000 miles on it. It's holding up real well and hasn't given me a reason to regret doing it

Rene.

10. Zeus33rd

And I assume th procedure outlined in the article is the same for a 12 bolt?

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Never done a 12 bolt...

I'd have to have a good look inside and take it from there. I've seen similar welded diffs where the side gears are filled up rather than the spiders. If the side gears are larger I'd do that.

rene

12. Greenblazer-AZ

Thanks again for all the input. I'll let you know how it turns out.

13. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I had a 12 bolt in mine. All of my rear diffs get welded, you will really like it, I broke 2 12 bolts before going to a 14ff, they broke becuse of my heavy right foot not because they were welded.

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What did you break? I take it you didn't break the carrier...