Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding a 14b sf axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Miller, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Miller

Miller Registered Member

Ok Ive been informed I was trying to not make specific thread on this and bring back a similar topic. but I will now.

Ive decided to weld the rear 14b sf axle in my 89 truck. I looked at the artice on this website, welding the 14b ff axle. but ive heard a few here have done it that way had problems. so Im lookn for any other options or ways to do it.

looks like Im just gona have to tackle it one night and do it myself. I could tear into it and decide what way I think is the best but I guess if I tear into it then I myswell do it then. its lookn like tonight or tomorrow. Im not sweatn it. if i get more info from anywhere here before then than thats cool, if not then Ill let you all know how it goes.

thankx
    Evan

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

the problems are the same you'll have with a spool-i guess if you wanted to waste your side gear you coulst weld the side gears TO the spider gears, but i'd just assume do it the way the article said.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm doing mine. I think I'm going to weld the side and spiders together as well as welding the side gears to the carrier. Mine is a Gov-Loc anyway so no big loss, if it pukes out, I'll go get a 14FF, pop in a Detroit, and call it a day.

4. Miller

Miller Registered Member

this might sound like a dumb questions????

arent the gears cast????? I was planning on useing knickel rod to weld mine??? is that necassary. from what Ive seen and the artice I havent noticed any ones sayn anything bout that and the pics in the artice are of mig welded? are they not.

Ive been talkn to people and they say the welds will break, this is very well true if the the gears a cast and people just roll some beads across it and probly dont ping on em with a hammer before they cool. so that weld cools and never realy pentrated the cast gear?

but damn do i hate knickel rod with a passion

5. Miller

Miller Registered Member

awwwwwwwww man second thoughts are kickn me and takn names,

had the truck on lift yanked the cover of the rear end and Im thinkn ewwwwwwwww what if this grenades a day later. then Im thinkn ok thatl give me an exscuse to toss the d70 under it Ive been eyeballing, then that d70 will give me a good reason get matching 8 lugged d60 for the front.
    Ill do some more reading on the axle welding subject and hopefully be locked by the end of the week.

Evan

6. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Have you welded it yet? I welded my 14b s/f 6 months ago. It turned out awesome! I have been lovin' every minute of it since. If you have any more questions I'm really close - Boise. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Miller

Miller Registered Member

tell me more about how you did it and all.

Ive had two chances so far and backed out both times, tonight Im putting a exhaust on friends truck so Im not sure Ill get mine in the air. I havent had anyone around here say anything good about welding any rear end. did you weld yours the same as the article here?

well have to get together one of these days and go trail riding, weve got a few other trucks that usauly tag along we do some playing around in sand dunes and creek beds. last night I blew the side wall out on my 315 wich was fun, I was crossing a creek.

anyways I got to get to work. got like 15 min to get there with 33" tire on side.

Evan

8. Miller

Miller Registered Member

Ive seen your pics before and guessed you where in idaho falls but I didnt guess boise, I think you posted on another website, so consider yourself caught already;) I even asked and you never replied back to my question of where your location was at. but thats cool. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Sent private message. See new pics below...