Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding a 14ff, Questions on carrier.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jk3078, Feb 4, 2006.

1. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

What does it take to pull, weld the spiders and then re-install the carrier on a 14ff? I think there was a tech artical on the home page about this awhile ago but now its gone. Any way I want to upgrade to the ff to handle my new 38.5's and was looking for advice on how to do this and make sure my gears are set right. Is this fairly easy or should I pay a shop to do it? I'm a cheap skate so I would rather do it my self if possible, thanks. Also any pics on a properly welded 14ff would be great, I've welded several smaller axles before so I know the basics but any info specific to the ff would also be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Thanks, great thread man!:bow: All the info I was after and then some. I now feel comfortable doing this weld job and I am looking forward to having the "unbreakable" axle back under my truck!

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah if you do it that way It should hold, because there are 14 individual welds holding it together.