Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding a Cage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Mar 5, 2007.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ive heard that you only want to weld a roll cage in with a mig welder......rather than a stick. Is this true? I know how much easier mig welding is, but does the stick just not get good enough penetration or what?
    -Harrison

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think you'd have to be a damn good welder to weld an entire cage with a stick. There is no reason stick can't be used though. It likely won't look as well, will be a pain to do, but hey you can do it if you want, and are good.

3. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

not a welding expert by any means but i would guess a mig is a lot better to weld a cage with cause the welds are up in hard to reach spaces and in thoose areas a mig lays down a better bead than a stick would...plus the hard to reach place (like along the roof) are the most important...

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and a really good stick welder could do it along the roofline better. ever try and weld between the roof and cage with a MIG? it sucks, ha. I've seen a GOOD stick welder weld with a mirror in one hand and a bent to crap rod in his torch. Again, that was one of the best sticker welders I've ever seen in action. And the weld still didn't look like a nice TIG or MIG weld.

5. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

exactlly what i was saying...in a tight spot a mig can make a lot better looking weld and i think a stonger weld...not saying that a mig makes stronger welds all the time just saying when building a cage a mig "fils in better" in essience making a stronger weld...all i gotta say if it is not suppose to be done with a mig than how come everyrace sop that builds chasis and tv show that builds cages us a mig???

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it looks better and its easier. There are other simple advantages but those are the big ones.

and TIG welding is becoming ever more popular, more and more guys are going to it. So MIG welding has its downfalls to.

I'm not saying stick welding is the way to go, I think its pretty well dumb myself, but I really give a **** about the work I produce. I literally feel like **** when I lay a bead that looks bad. I can't stand to see people build things that look like crap, especially when they tell me "its still a good weld"... but that is me.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. You COULD stick weld a cage if you are proficient with a stick welder is all I'm saying.

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

We used a Lincoln 255 for most of my cage, but a Lincoln engine drive to weld the cage to the floor mount plates...so a combo. The mig welds look prettier...

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a good stick welder using the right rod can make a weld look better than a small mig welder. im decent with a stick, when i welded my doubler adapter up, it looks better than i ever could get with my 135 mig that i have at home. now the v350 pro with the LN-7 feeder i have at work, nothing compares, except maybe an experinced tig.

as far as a cage, i would go nuts trying to chip away the slag all the way around all the tubes.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The stick welder in question is a Miller Thunderbolt 225. Will also have a small mig handy too, but I dont know if it is capable of doing the job. Its a small craftsman...but apparently craftsman warranties their welders too. The mig is my friends and he blew it up using it for a long time non stop welding sliders on a K5 (the handle/trigger piece got so hot it literally exploded) and sears ordered one for him for free. The new one was there in like 3 days. Anyways, I may have access to other migs as well. I was just curious.

Also, would you guys suggest welding straight to the frame or sandwich plate it to the floor? Its an S&W racecars pre bent 10 point cage and the instructions say in all capital letters that it should be welded to the frame in all points. Is this a no-no or what? Thanks.
    -Harrison