Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding a full cage... tips? suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, May 20, 2003.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

When you welded your full cage, how did you get to the tops of the seams? Like at the top windshield corner and such? Where you cant really get to it. With my cage, I wont be able to put it together and then put it in the truck. Will have to be welded inside the truck.

How about painting? Thats not too bad, but I want to cover it all to prevent rust, so it all needs to be painted.

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The only way to do a really good job would be to cut the top off. Believe it or not, it's done fairly often for top line jobs. Another option is to do the top best you can with small rods and a stick welder. Or, switch to flux core and pull the gass shroud (be careful with arcing out!). That lets you get much of the top, probably enough...

Another option, cut holes in the floor, lower it down to weld the tops, raise it up and insert large plates for floor mount, weld to bottom of tubes...

Or, build the cage so that it is pieced/sleeved down low, weld the top on the ground, assemble inside, weld sleeved joints...

Just think about it, lots of options...

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Well, I have thought about it. Thats why I am asking to see what others have done. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the thoughts.

Ken H.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

When I did mine, i got as far up as I could, maybe 10% was unwelded at the tops of 2 joints. Whooptee doo. it's not nascar.

Painted it with a brush in the hard to reach places...worked for me.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you do it in sections, you should be able to weld most if it outside the rig.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Build it in sections in a way that you can get to the seams.
    You would build the front as a unit slide it in stand it up. Have the top bars long enough to be out from under the roof where the weld the hoop. Build the rear including the stringer from the b pillers to the A pillers. Depending on where your front leg hit you can get to the A pillers pretty easy. The fon is loading half built cage into the truck. When I built mine I tacked it in the truck to make sure it fit. Welded as much of the mounts. Cut the tacks from the the hoop to the front. Took it out and welded everything I could. Set it back in and welded the front to the hoop.

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I just had my 6-point done by a fab shop and I notice there is a spot at the top in those corners that is not welded. The rest of it is welded beautifully. I did not have the luxury of painting it outside the truck and I have 2 words for you. Masking Tape. I neglected to use it the first time around and made a big mess. It was embarrassing. It took hours with the laquer thinner /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif to get it off. THEN I masked off all of the areas where I did not want paint and finished the job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Something about sunrise red in a tan truck; it stands out! I used Rustoleum primer & oil based, gloss Sunrise Red. Pics in my webshots. http://community.webshots.com/album/71570426GutKAM

My truck is gone right now getting that cage tied to the frame in 4 points, and a horizontal bar on the back to legs to connect them.