Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding a new bed in my k5...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 1, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

For future reference, I need to know where i might find some weld points in the body of my k5 to put in a new bed... the whole thing is currently bondo, and I didn't realize it, so I'm going to either find a full tub, or buy replacement floor panels and try to find a place to weld them to the remaiing metal on the body. Anyone have any ideas? I'll post pics when I get the truck home for you all to laugh at. The Engine will be done by Monday at the latest, so I'll again have the biggest truck at work...

2. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

There is a great write up onthis topic somewhere. Someone replaced his floor with diamond plate and it came out looking really nice. I will try to find it for you when I have more time.

I'm not having anyluck, anyone else remember what I'm talking about?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I know it has been recommended to you already to consider a new tub....

Even If you have a shop... full welding facilities... are a competent weldor.. this is still an unpleasant job.... and time consuming done right....
    If you arent all of the above you will get hosed many thousands of dollars...

to do the job right if the rust is as bad as you say the body needs full stripping... chemical... blasting... then panels plasma'd out to good metal and then good steel put back in..... usually the wheelwells are ok... so you can basically cut the floor out and use them as a referrence point to weld to... the crossmembers underneath need to be reused or replaced... everything nice and clean... or otherwise it isnt worth all the effort only to have it begin rusting again immediately.

There are west coast deals to be had on k5 bodies that are clean.... the swap I think in the long run would be a better idea....

There are also h1 look alike kits out there for the k5... I built one... the total body cost me about 5k.... obviously you can find decent k5 tubs for way under 1k

You can low buck it with a weld in patch panel of diamond plate or the like but the rust will still be there eating away until the seats fall out... which as I understand it from your posts.... is already happening

good luck
    cam

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

6. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Awesome guys... thanks for the links... I was thinking about the diamond plate deal anyway, and for $400 in diamond plate, that's less than I was going to spend on all the replacement panels and rockers... might as well diamond plate the bottom of the doors and quarter panels too.