Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding a rear end 14ff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGNICK91, Jan 21, 2007.

1. BIGNICK91

BIGNICK91 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about welding the spiders on my ff14b

how do i do it and if so

can i take it out down the road if i dont like it and put in a locker?

Thanks

NICK

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I don't think you can un-weld a 14bff.

Because of the two-piece carrier, the spiders normally get welded right to the carrier through the "inspection holes".

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It depends on how you weld it up, but if you don't weld the spider gears to the carrier you will likely end up breaking the welds and/or spider gears and ruining the whole rear end. Detroits are cheap for 14 bolts and are well worth it, IMO. If your truck spends any time on the road a spool (or welding the spider gears) should be out of the question.

4. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Nick, I still got my spiders from when the detroit was put in so if you want to weld yours to see if you like it and don't just put the ones I got back in:D But if you can sport the $$$ get a Detroit!

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

You need to weld the sh1t out of it so as to be sure you dont bust a weld and destroy the diff. You also have to make sure everything is super clean and dont get any slag on something else that could get knocked off and cause damage. And as said before if this rig see's street use I would at least go with a cheaper Lock-Right Locker. Ive seen 'em last behind a 383 with 35's in a 14 bolt.

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

weld it up or get a mini spool for it... I'm runnin a mini spool in my 14ff for almost 2 years now... the only problem I had with it realy was the stock steering... but once I went to crossover steering, I can't tell it's even back there anymore.... u also have to rotate your tires often. but other than that I love it... u really just have to learn how to drive it, like going around corners and in parking lots. the only time I hear the tires barking is in parking lots... it's funny to see peoples look on there face lol....and I'm driving around in a spooled suburban on bias 38" swampers in los angeles traffic.... so far so good....

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you search there is a writeup in here about making a "spider ball". You basically seperate the carrier and weld the spiders and side gears completely together making one large ball that to my knowledge I have never heard of breaking. The ones that break are when people on weld the valleys of the gear teeth and do not solidly weld all of the gears together. If you make a spider ball out of it you can later remove that and install a detroit in the same location as no welding to the carrier is required. I run a detroit and do not think it ever unlocks around corners so welding or a spool is cheaper and will work the same.

Ira

8. 1977k5

Detroits on FF 14 bolts only replace the spider gears (because it has a two piece carrier that is very strong) so a lock-right and a detroit would be pretty similar on that axle.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here is a post for making a spider ball. There are pics towards the bottom. What it does not say to do but is a good idea is to weld everything into one solid mass.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143514&highlight=spider+ball

In the pic of the gears tacked together you will want to fill in all of the gaps with as much weld filler as you can get in there and still let the gears fit in the carrier. You are essentially making the 6 individual gears into a mini spool.

Ira

10. 1977k5

Mine unlocks every time around a corner unless I am into the gas :dunno:

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Maybe cause mine is auto and it always has some "input" to the pinion. I dont really notice it is back there unless I am in a parking lot. Well that and if I am offroad:D. I should clarify, I know it unlocks as I have had the Detroit shimmy while going from coast to power but for the most part both tires are locked.

Ira

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I was riding around in my buddy jeremy's (k5er4life) blazer and I don't think his detriot(14ff) ever unlock around corners too from what I could tell... and after driving all around the city chasing parts for my gear swap I was sure glad I didn't spend all the $$$ on a detriot..

edit: he also drive like a mad man so thats probably what it didn't unlock around corner.... I would too with 5.13's and 383 lol....

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

?????

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Maybe mine does unlock I just dont hear any clicking noise that everyone talks aboot. I have had the ass end sound like it was falling out from under my K5 when it banged in one day:o

Ira

15. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

what I was getting at after driving aroud with him all day, his detriot didn't unlock aound corners.... and after that experince in his K5 I was glad I didn't spend 400+ for a detriot that's pretty much the same thing as a spool that I got for 200 to my door.

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Gotit:D

Ira

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If the detroit in your 14bff doesn't unlock then something is not right. Mine unlocks around every corner & you can feel it lock & unlock every time you get on and off the gas while cruising straight down a road. I have an automatic with a low stall converter so I am not sure what is the problem with your detroits. Matts (az-k5) Detroit acts just like mine does on the street.

If you are going to street drive your K5 then pay the money & get a Detroit. I ran a welded for 2 years with a semi-DD K5. I thought the welded was ok but after I installed a Detroit I would NEVER go back to a welded for a truck that is going to get even moderate street time. For a trail only truck weld it up call it good, but for the street a Detroit is the ticket.

If you run a welded on the street you are going to pay alot of money in tires. You will chew them up WAY faster with a welded then you will with a Detroit. A detroit is going to eat more then an open diff but not anything like a welded.

Harley

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine works as I did the test on the jackstands when I put it in I think I just cant feel it with normal driving. I have felt it while coasting down hill and then got back on the gas and got the ass end to sway but I do not think I feel it going around a normal corner. Maybe I got too much cushion in my ass:doah:.

Ira

19. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't notice it unlocking for all the corners but I know it does because it doesn't chirp the tires threw the corners unless I get back on the pedal hard then it locks up and chirps like my welded used to.

Harley

20. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

the only time I chirp the tires is making tight turns in a parking lots... otherwise going around corners there's no barking or chirping unless I'm flooring it and if I am I'll chirp the **** out of the tires.... maybe the longer wheelbase helps out a out :dunno: