Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding Axle Tubes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JpEater, Jul 25, 2006.

1. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Is there anything to worry about when welding axle tubes to the center section on a 14b ff? I was going to weld them but didn't want to do it wrong.

2. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I may be wrong, but I thought those were already welded from the factory.

3. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

they are welded from the factory but how well? the 10b tore the welds and spun the diff off the tubes. I was thinking of doing the same thing with my 14b if necc.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

14 bolts have been known to tear the rosset welds as well. More than one person has fully welded around the tubes. Never done it myself so I can't really give input.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's cast iron to steel, will you actually get any sort of strength by joining the two without really taking your time?

I assume the rosset welds (those are the plug welds, right) actually adhere well to the tubes, which is why you see the cracks where it is welded to the cast.?

6. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

One of the plug welds is leaking oil so that is another thing that I was wanting to weld too. I have been told to heat the cast a little with a torch and then start welding. I just want to hear from someone that has actually done it before though.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'd bet a couple donuts that the center isn't cast iron. Much, much more likely it's cast steel. Which welds very nicely. Pre-heat is a good idea with any heavy walled or thick sections. I soot the part to be heated with a pure acetylene flame first. Keep the flame moving, when the soot burns off you're ready to go. If it's something really thick I go thru this process again after welding.
    (FYI: The soot burns off a couple hunert degrees below the melting point of aluminum. Works for fixing intakes & what-not, which where I got it from.)

For the leaker, most ideal would be to have the hsg hot tanked. Getting the oil out of the leak path should be a HIGH priority and the hot tank is the easiest way to do that.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

If spinning the tubes is your concern I would consider anti-wrap devices instead of welding.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Many antiwrap devices mount to one axle tube or the other. You may be more likely to spin an axle tube in that case. A truss that ties the two tubes together and mounts to the diff cover or the drop out pinion would be good ways to prevent spinning a tube.

10. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Actually that's what I was thinking of. I should have been more specific. That type of setup wouldn't limit flex or clearance either.

11. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I'd weld up the tubes. I know a guy who does it all the time when he chops D60's to fit jeeps. No he doesn't chop it by the pumpkin. If the plug welds are "enough" to hold it, then a little more can't hurt....