Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding bumpers straight to the frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SchnorrCS, Feb 18, 2006.

1. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Ok, so when I bought my K5, the dude before me (Cali Hippy if that helps) put some really really lame Tubeish bumpers on it. Kinda think he was going for the whole "Baja" look. Hated them since the day I brought her home. Well, I finally got around to it, bought some 1/8 inch wall square tube and cut them with slash cuts on the end.
    Now for my question....I cut off the last maybe 3 inches off the rear of the frame, so the bumpers would be tucked in nice and close (Don't run a tail gate) and was gonna box em up make some brackets and bolt the bumpers on with some 1/2 grade 8 stuff. 2 on each side. Got to thinking, and it seems it would be stronger and help limit frame tweakage if I welded them straight on. Not really worried about the fact that I could never get them off, but can anyone think of any reason this is a bad idea? I really cant.
    I also added some of the tube that I cut off to protect the gas tank also.
    Thanks alot guys.
    cS

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

some people dont like the idea of things being permanent but thats up to you.

make sure you can still access everything you need to before u weld them on,

jon

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what he said. i personaly dont like the idea of welding ANYTHING to the frame because i have changed my mind so many times it will be a PITA to change later on in life. not if, but when for me.
    Grant

4. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welded front and rear bumper. But, I was happy with how they came out and no plans on changing. 2" recevier front and back and truck can be lifted by them if need be.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

wouldn't that be alittle hard on the frame when it tries to "twist" and flex on things???

sure it might help with stiffening up the frame, but they were designed to twist somewhat.

6. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Don't think it will really hurt the flex much. There are already Plates in both the front and rear...I'd kinda equate it to a heavy duty bracing and boxing of that portion of the frame. Just a thought.

UPDATE-Went ahead and welded the rear one on. All I've done in the front is chop down the factory turd, but I have a winch on the way, so I'm gonna have to come up with something cool. Personally, I kinda like minimal bumpers, real strong but real small so they don't catch on every rock that I get close to. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    cS

7. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Theres a good reason why the engineers who designed the chassis didnt weld the x members...think safety and metal fatigue when you plan these mods out.

These frames are not that stiff so everything joined to them must be midly compliant. You cant address frame flex issues locally, you have to take an holistic approach.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i agree, but since both the front and rear frame horns have a cross member 8 inches or so from the rear i belive them to be tortionaly strong enough to be able to catch a cracked weld here and there and not ahve a full bumper fall off IF YOU INSPECT once in a while...

like i said before, im not for it, but dont see anything wrong with it. keep an eye on the welds though.
    Grant

9. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Depending on the construction techniques I would have to agree with your reasoning, but he did mention the 'winch' word...if those welds fail I can guess it will most prolly be when the winch is loaded.
    I would highly recomend some stout bolting action around winch mounts. Its just so much safer.

10. sandSStorm

sandSStorm Registered Member

I would go against welding. You never know when you need to do some modifications. It would be a PITA ..

my 2 cents

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Check your state laws. I know in Oregon, welded bumper mounts ONLY is illegal. Must have at least 2 bolts minimum here.

12. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

All very valid points. I welded the rear bumper only. The winch mount will be of the bolt on variety and will have 6 grade 8 half inchers 3 on each side and the winch will be bolted to that. I run a chopped down factory front bumper so I'm not real worried about that. I'll post up when the winch gets here and I get that sorted out and all. Maybe then it will be time to be a paying member and post up some pics...