Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding Cast? oh boy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 17, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well I did it, went too far on the 14 bolt. So I'm thinking(was suggested by others too) that I should grind a little more off then weld on some plate. Anyone have a guide for welding to cast? Gonna have to practice a lot.

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welding cast is an art all by itself.The secert of it is the preheating and the slow cool down afterward.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think the only way its happening is, my uncle the professional welder.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Looked at the pics, is the housing as thick as the gasket flange all the way around?

What would happen if you were to drill and tap splayed holes for a plate, instead of welding it?

Welding cast is definitely an art, and I have yet to see or hear anywhere that welded cast iron is as strong as before it was broken...if you are worried about coming down on that thin of a housing thickness, what would happen to 5K (or even 2.5K) coming down on cast iron thats been welded?

just throwin' out ideas, I don't think having splayed bolts would help any. Then of course you'd have to worry about the heads getting torn off, unless you had countersunk allen head bolts, and so on and so on... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and so on. Sounded good till I thought about the bolt heads too. hmm I was thinking about making one long plate skid under the axle from the pinion all the way back. I am worried about cracking it cause its too thin I think. Not nearly as thick as the gasket face.

6. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

The key to welding cast iron is to not let it get too hot to touch with a bare hand. My grandfather broke a cast iron vice back in the 60's and welded it back together without allowing it to heat up too much and it has been in everyday use since then with absolutely no more breakage. I know for a fact that I let it roll out of the back of my pick up going 85 mph on the highway and that I dropped it from 12 geet in my dads old shop without any damage if that counts for anything.