Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding Cast Steel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cliffy, May 15, 2001.

1. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

I think That's what pitman arms are made out of. Anyway I need to shorten mine. I've never explored welding cast-to-cast.

I've heard people say that welding regular steel to cast steel is a problem but is welding cast-to-cast a problem??

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

2. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

YES,it's a real pain and would need to be done by someone who is experioenced with welding cast,especially on such a crucial part.
    That is one part that you don't want falling apart while you're going down the road.
    I really don't think that the pitman arm is cast though.Even if it's not,I would recomend having a pro do it,for the same reasons,or find a replacement part for it.

Chuck
    81 Blazer
    <font color=blue>does anyone have another F#@d that I can park on?</font color=blue>[​IMG]
    <font color=red><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com</A></font color=red>

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Get with tRusty K5, he's a welding guru and would probably give you some helpful hints.

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I really dont think you should be cutting these things and re-welding them. Even if you are a guru or not its a safety thing that gets me. Welds and metal can degrade over time, as anything can/will, and steering isnt something you want to loose. I have seen ghetto rigged legnthened, shortened, and "professionally" beefied arms all break. Right were they are welded. I am not down playing anyones skills as a pro or certified welder. I just dont want to see or read about anyone getting hurt. Thats my $0.02

[​IMG] Dont steal my truck..I dont need anymore worthless junk over my fireplace.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That is not a piece that I would be welding on (or use if someone else did). That piece has a tremendous amount of stress on it and if it breaks, look out! Better not to take chances with pieces like that. I would recommend you buy one that fits your application. They aren't that expensive...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't touch a cast or any other steering component. I would consider getting a new pitman custom machined though...
    If the pitman is not cast I still wouldn't weld on it, I trust my own work but it would always worry me. Life is too short to take any chances on steering components. If you absolutely must have a custom piece do not cut any corners and get it done right. Cutting an existing pitman and re-welding it does not fall into the category of getting it done right...

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

They are pretty expensive the one I'm referring to cost me 76 dollars. and the one I had before this cost me 30

I'm not going to weld this, I'm gonna move some other things to make this fit right.

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

8. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys, From what I remember, it is forged steel. Cast, then run through a press while it's still red hot. Wouldn't weld it if it was me. GOPHERKILLER

9. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

No need to fear for you lives while I drive down the road.

I called parts mike and he's sending me a new one (NO SHIPPING THIS TIME!!!) I should see it by friday.

Coil sprung 71 blazer.