Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding class

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985_K5_Silverado, Feb 26, 2006.

1. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'm just looking into learning more about welding as a hobby, for personal purposes, and thought that I'd consider taking an intro class. I've just done a tiny bit of buzz box welding before, with variable results. When I say "variable", I mean weld on a bracket - maybe it won't break off when I smack it with a hammer, or maybe it will. With my current "skills", I wouldn't even consider welding anything that would be trouble if a weld broke.

This is the intro class they have at a nearby community college:​

WELDING FUNDAMENTALS (non-credit)

Learn or renew basic welding skills for automotive technicians, maintenance staff, construction trades and for home/ranch projects. Students will need to provide their own safety glasses, leather gloves, arc-welding helmet, and pliers.

(six 3-hour sessions, tuition $99)

It seems like I could prevent making at least 99 bucks worth of mistakes by taking the class. Considering what I'd be spending on equipment and a few more classes if I decided that I liked it enough to keep on doing it, the tuition looks like a drop in the bucket.

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

By the way, I didn't post this in the welding forum, because it's not really a welding tech Q&A type of topic.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Welding Forum ????

Sure take the class. For $99 you will at least have a little fun

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

news to me.

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

Hmm, I guess there isn't one! That must have been a dream (but wouldn't be a terrible idea for a new forum in the "miscellaneous discussion" section).

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Take the class, build your own weld cart, bumpers, BBQ, press; load up!:D

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ive taken several classes at my local CC. basic, advanced,ICAR,mig,tig. money well spent. much better to learn the right way in a school than from your buddy down the street IMO.

8. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Iam taking a similar class right now. I think it will be worth it for the cost of metal/ electrods to learn on and the help you can get at the class. If your thinking of getting into welding, your going to have to buy gloves and a helmet anyways. I really enjoy my class and have learned a lot in these few weeks.

9. Guss

Guss Registered Member

I started out welding as a hobby and kept taking classes at my cc until i was decent. then i decided to get certified and now it is somthing for me to fall back on. not to mention its cool to build stuff that people can use or apreciate.

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm going to take one of these. I figure it cant hurt and the price is right. My buddy got certified by this class, plus you cant beat the price and expience