Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding clevis mounts to a bumper...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jan 22, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a set of clevis mounts I got from a fellow ck5 member a while back (85mouse) and was wondering if it'd be a-ok (safety-wise) to weld them to my rear bumper. Drilling lots of 1/2" holes through thick steel is not my idea of a good time... I tend to just dull my good bits, wear out drills, and spend lots of $$$$ on grade 8 hardware. Additionally, the more holes I have in my bumper, the more likely it is to rust away on me. Anyway, the base part that mounts to the bumper probably has about a 12" perimeter... seems like a good weld all the way around would be plenty strong. Once I am done messing with the bumper, I will prolly Line-X the thing... so rust getting into the weld shouldnt be a problem.

any other reasons not to do this? Info appreciated,

J

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Welding them on is exactly what i have planned ... once we get the bumper built ..

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Fire up the DC stick welder and have at it with some 7018 rod. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Or the MIG welder of course. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm partial to the 7018, cause I ran a certification with it.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

7018 is fine on a 3 phase machine. Most single phase home machines will have troubles with it though...

Rene

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I welded mine on w/ "Farmer's Rod" (6011) and a cracker box AC machine. 3/4" plate to 1/4" square tube. Ended up with a nice 3/16" fillet weld. Have been pulled numerous times (damn 31" tires!!!) from these points w/ no probs.

John

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Quite a few people around here have theirs welded on and they've never had a problem.

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I cut a hole for the actual mounting point to go through, and welded on the back side of the bumper. I did it because it looked cleaner, but it would also give extra support because not only will the welds have to break, but it would have to be pulled through the bumper to come off. (a little extra safety)

8. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I was thinking along those same lines. With it through the bumper, there's 2 welds to break.

When I make mine out of 2x6 tubing, that's the way I'll go.

Like you said, just that little extra margin of security! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thanks for the responses guys, now I just need to learn how to weld. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I picked up a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 a little while back. rest assured I'll do lots of practice and less important work before I try to weld the clevis mounts on... just wanted to make sure that it was a fundamentally sound idea. thanks again!

j

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    7018 is fine on a 3 phase machine. Most single phase home machines will have troubles with it though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm....7014?