Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding course questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OneInTheSun, May 14, 2003.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Like anyone, I can grab the MIG and lay down a bird-sh!t weld. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I wan't to learn the proper way, so I figure I'd take a non-credit welding course at the local community college.

The important part of the course description reads:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Acquire a working knowledge of oxy-fuel burning and shielded metal arc welding, as well as oxy-acetylene and shielded metal arc safety.

[/ QUOTE ]

So will this torch and stick class give me a good foundation to apply to MIG welding? I think they may alter the stick/MIG course offering - Should I wait until fall and hope they have the MIG course? (I need to fab up some rockers/rocksliders ASAP, so I'm leaning towards the stick class.)

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Once you learn the basics of welding, the rest is easy. Get GOOD at gas welding. This will give you the knowledge of how to make/keep a puddle going, how much heat is needed and how much filler is required for what you are trying to accomplish. All the welding you will want to do involves puddles of molten metal and filler. Once you have the puddle thing down, you will be able to do most any type of welding necessary on your rig. MIG welding is easy when you know what to look for when laying a bead, i.e. you need more/less heat, more/less filler etc. The basics of TIG welding are just like gas welding, but uses elecricity for heat instead of gas. You may want to mention to your instructor what you want to get out of the class, as sometimes the can "tailor" your projects to help you towards your goal. After you get the basics down, let the instructor know that you would like to learn the basics of MIG welding, and maybe he/she will give you a quick once over or let you dink around with a MIG welder there. Good Luck!

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

most colleges offer mig welding. if that's what you want to do i would not bother with SMAW or Gas Welding. look for FCAW&GMAW i believe those are the two different kinds of MIG.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Once you get stick welding down, MIG (GMAW), is gravy.

John

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Once you get stick welding down, MIG (GMAW), is gravy.
    John

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Gas welding is much harder to do correctly than electric. I don't know why you'd recommend that anyone get good at gas welding before doing any type of electric welding.

Honestly, welding is a skill that takes minutes to learn, and a lifetime to master.

6. SkulzNBonz

Honestly, welding w/ oxy-acetylene is almost completely non-existant. Someone said that it's close to TIG, which is correct, but probably not what you are wanting to learn for your application. Find a class that teaches SMAW (stick), GMAW (MIG), and oxy acetylene cutting, and run with it.

John

7. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The only reason that I said to get good at gas welding is because that is typically where a welding class like that will start. You learn the basics of welding in gas (like you stated: gas is much harder than electric) and if you get good at gas, the rest is easy in comparison. In my opinion, gas shows the relation between heat and filler applications for a good quality weld better than any other form (except maybe TIG), you get a good feel for how much heat to apply and how fast/slow to go for good penetration. When I took a vocational welding course years ago, I got real good at gas welding and I have found that I adapted very easily to the other forms of welding after that. I'm not trying to steer the guy wrong here, just letting him know what worked well for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Someone said to find a SMAW/GMAW and oxy acetylene cutting class and run with it, that definitely wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction for what you want to do/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

8. SkulzNBonz

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John