Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding cracked transmission

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slimlynn1, Mar 14, 2004.

1. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Has anyone welded their cast aluminum transmission? Can it be done? I pulled my transmission out today to look at a small crack that I had. When I pulled the last bolt off half of the bell housing on my TH400 fell right off. Do you think this could be welded back on, and will it hold? What do you think?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you mean the bellhousing and tranny are separate? you probably get it welded but not sure if it will hold. probably be cheaper and stronger to get a nother case and swap everything. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

check with jw Transmissions. They make a part called the Ultrabell. It is a real heavy duty bell housing for turbo 400's. You cut the exsisting bell off of your case and the Ultrabell bolts to the front pump bolts.

4. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Cool!! It looks like I will opt for the ultra case for about 200 beanos. Thanks for the quick response.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

yes you can weld it... depends on the skill of the tig weldor... but if done correctly will definately "hold"... welded area will be stronger...
    but
    if your breaking a 400 case.... thats flex and theres more fixes than just welding the case...better bushings, judicious use of the right foot at the appropriate times etc....

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes you can weld, you will have to drill hole at end of crack, and then V groove the crack and use aluminum welder, tal to your local small weldign shop guys and they will be able to fix it for around 40 or 50 bucks or so pretty much, if the tranny is not worth spending thjat much on then find another housing and swap all your parts into it

good luck