Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding Cylinder Heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79cheyenne79, Apr 28, 2007.

1. 79cheyenne79

79cheyenne79 Registered Member

I just changed my cylinder head gaskets and still noticed the white smoke. I thought it was because of all of the cleaning chemicals that I used. It was! But after running my 350 it still gave out white smoke from the exhaust. So there was still a leak. Any way my head is cracked I can see the water leterally seeping out. I was wondering if it is a good idea to weld the crack.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the head is cast iron it takes a person that "knows" how to weld cast iron for it to work. You can't just start welding on it. The head must first come apart, be cleaned, pre-heated, welded (with proper rod), then let to cool slowly. Then after all that it will need to have a valve job done and be resurfaced.

3. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

prolly better/more cost efficient to just get some new heads. just my 50th of a dollar though.

4. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine put his heads in his grill to heat them up and then using the proper rod, stick welded them up. He's run them for ever with no further problems so it can be done.

5. 79cheyenne79

79cheyenne79 Registered Member

So........If I was to buy a head should I get both? Or can I get away with buying one? I have a 350 if I didn't mention that.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there are so many different cylinder heads for 350s, if you don't buy one that is the exact same casting, its retarded to just get one.