Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding Dana 60 Front??? Ya Repost.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highjaxx, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about this since I'm getting cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Does it effect turning that much??

I don't want pieces to mess anything else though, would a spool be smarter?

I can run in 2-lo (rear only). Would that be better with detroit???

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

spool or weld will behave the same. Full spool would be stronger but either way it will affect steering big time. Detroit or other locker would be much better. I've discussed it with Billavista before, he has a welded front and fully hydraulic steering, he said with the full hydro it is bearable but other wise its a pain beyond belief.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Wouldn't do it, unless you plan on running full hydro.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't completely understand how having hydro steering makes a difference in regards to a front spool or welded diff? When a vehicle is sitting stationary and you try to turn the wheels (like you would see on the trail a lot), it doesn't matter whether it's open or locked. With my front locker it's not whether the front tires turn, it's whether the whole truck will turn because the of the front tires sliding.........

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

truthfully I don't fully get it, but the only person I've talked to with experience in the situation said exactly what I posted. He had normal steering then went full hydro and it made a difference. I remember seeing pictures of BillAs rig where when he steered the axle moved side to side and the front tires stayed straight(before full hydro).