Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding for the first time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 21, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

WOW its hard today I welded for the first time witha stick welder It dosent look hard but it is I really think those self shadding masks must be nice AHH my eyes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I picked up a auto darkenign helmet for like $80 on sale. It's not fancy, but it works.
    I haven't tried stick welding, but MIG is not too bad.
    -- Mike

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

MIG aint nothin compared to using stick. You have to get the rod in just the right position or it will just stick and not arc. You also have to get the heat just right or the weld will be weak or just burn holes in the metal. And on top of that you have to know which rods to use. I have only done it a couple times, but I want to learn more.

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

it isnt that hard. im only 16 and can make my stick weld beads look just like mig weld beads. its just a matter of practice. plus, u hafta have good rods. cheap rods suck. they will consistantly break the arc or stick to the piece u r welding. and dont let the rods get damp or wet. o yea, mig is a breeze once u can stick weld. the first time i picked up a mig gun was about 5 months ago....i laid down a perfect bead. the only trick is to keep the gun moving consistantly. hope this helps

NITRO

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I can weld pretty good with a MIG. I've just recently started trying to weld with stick, and I think I've done pretty good so far, considering I tried to learn on my own without any help at all.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    AHH my eyes

[/ QUOTE ] As insane as this sounds, when your sitting around wanting to rip your eyeballs out cause the burn and feel like they have sand in them, cut some potato slices and lay them on your eyes.

I have had to do this, and as much as I hate to admit it, my beloved wife thought it was hillarious and snapped a pic of me. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Post the pictures!

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'ld recommend a night course at the local Vo-Tech to really bone-up on welding. It's money well spent. Once you got the basics down, practice, practice, practice. Stick welding (Arc, SMAW) is where the skill starts, MIG is for lttle girls /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, and after you get good start playing with TIG (woo pretty )

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've been MIG welding for about 10 years and I agree it is pretty easy. Haven't stick welded for umpteen years but why would you. Anything that might need welded on a blazer anyway can be done with a mig. MIG is so much cleaner than a stick. A better weld is a safer weld in my book... Just starting to learn how to TIG. That is fun... Nice looking welds and very strong.

10. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

For frame work and heavier metals stick rules (or do you have a 400A mig ? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)