Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding fram near steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DaneW, Oct 3, 2002.

1. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

My truck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif has developed a crack in the fram causing the steering to wander. I plan on having it welded and just wanted to know how much to expect to be charged to have it welded.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know, I did mine myself, but after you weld it, get the brace from ORD, don't use the patch that goes on the frame, it's not worth the money, the brace is the same price but strengthens the frame and takes the torsionnal force of and distributes it to the cross member and the frame. It's a bolt on.
    You will no longer have to worry about the frame even with monster tires. I think it's 65 or $70.
    IceMan

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The bolt on is $105. I wouldnt say the weld on is useless, adds rigidity to that part of the frame around the bolt holes. Like you said, the bolt on distributes the stress.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But several people on here have tried using only the bolt-on brace and still ended up with cracked frames around the steering box. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The hot ticket seems to be using the weld-on plate to reinforce the area and then add the bolt-on brace to triangulate the load forces.

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly what Im gonna do. The parts should be here next week. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

Thanks again guys for all the information!

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i see everyone here the bolt on will take care of the problem /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif...i call bs on that one..i had just the bolt on one installed...just 2 weeks ago i ripped the steering box clean from the frame /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif...get both...bolt on and weld on...i am doin the weld on one this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i am also installin the west texas offroad hydro ram set up too just to get rid of the rest of un needed stress from the frame hopefully next week when it shows up

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm saving up $$ for the Redneck Ram. For now I'm running crossover steering with 44" TSL's and the weld on frame brace. I twisted the splines on the pitman shaft, but have not hurt the frame.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

With the cross over steering you use the saginaw type steering from a 2wd truck which has a different effect on the frame.
    With 44" you will definitely need the ram:)
    IceMan