Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding frame-expert's advice needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coyle13, Aug 3, 2004.

1. coyle13

coyle13 Registered Member

Welding frame-expert\'s advice needed

I was wondering if it would be o.k. to weld the steering box frame repair kit with .35 flux core wire with a Hobart 135? I am not a pro welder, but I took welding shop for 2 years in high school (a long time ago!) and I can lay a good bead with the wire feed unit. The weld-on kit says to use 100% CO2 and some non-flux core wire, but I have welded bumpers, towbars, shackle mounts, etc with the flux-core that have held up to hard use (so far). I am borrowing the welder from a friend, so I could get the suggested wire spool and co2 tank, but do I need to? I want the weld to last. Suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Re: Welding frame-expert\'s advice needed

I have a "gasless" wirefeed and a mig welder and to say a picture is worth a thousand words couldn't apply better here. I won't use my fluc core welder on my own truck anymore. Now it is just a "loaner" tool. The way I think, if you can fix it tomorrow in 10 minutes, and it won't compromise anyones safety, then gamble, if not, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would not use the weld patch no matter what size welder you have because it fits like crap, the hole centers are wrong, and generally it's just a bit piece of crap. I wish I never bought it, but I did, and installed it, and I've just got to live with it for now.

If you insist on installing it, the Hobart 135will do fine, the weld patch is about 3/16" thick. I'd imagine you could use .030" wire and still have good results.

I used a stick welder to put mine on so I see no reason why flux core cannot be used. From what I understand flux core give smaller machines better penetration anyway.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

There is no reason why he couldn't use that machine for the job. Just be sure that you have the heat set correctly. If you feel like it would help, mock up a couple pieces of scrap of the same thickness in the same postion you'd be welding on the frame. Practice on that till things are right and you are comfortable. I am a "pro" welder and I would weld it with that machine and wire. No worries. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I would not use the weld patch no matter what size welder you have because it fits like crap, the hole centers are wrong, and generally it's just a bit piece of crap. I wish I never bought it, but I did, and installed it, and I've just got to live with it for now.

If you insist on installing it, the Hobart 135will do fine, the weld patch is about 3/16" thick. I'd imagine you could use .030" wire and still have good results.

I used a stick welder to put mine on so I see no reason why flux core cannot be used. From what I understand flux core give smaller machines better penetration anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim Tim Tim. Those patch/reinforcement kits are for a reason. And they are a good idea regardless of how poorly they fit. Everyone of those things is gonna fitt like ass. Everyone. Given the loooooose tolerances of these frames, I would say it would be almost impossible to mass produce those things to fit 100% perfect, 100% of the time. You watched the video I made of me doing my frame repair. It took me maybe 20 minutes of hammering to make that thing fit perfect. Then 10 minutes or less of welding to complete it. So what ya bitchin about?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim Tim Tim. Those patch/reinforcement kits are for a reason. And they are a good idea regardless of how poorly they fit. Everyone of those things is gonna fitt like ass. Everyone. Given the loooooose tolerances of these frames, I would say it would be almost impossible to mass produce those things to fit 100% perfect, 100% of the time. You watched the video I made of me doing my frame repair. It took me maybe 20 minutes of hammering to make that thing fit perfect. Then 10 minutes or less of welding to complete it. So what ya bitchin about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...that is why it's called 'fitting'. Run a few bolts through the patch plate and tighten them up as you align the holes. Start tacking and hammering until it does fit flush...then weld and stop bitching. They fit like crap and that is normal, not some weird defect...

Rene

6. coyle13

Thanks for the info, guys./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I was also thinking of welding some 7/16" fender washers on the inside of the frame because the mounting holes on the frame are all wallowed out from loose steering box mounting bolts. Or, I was going to drill out everthing to 1/2"(drill and heli-coil the box) if the holes are too egg shaped. Do you see any problems with either of those senarios? Also, are the stock fasteners grade 5 or grade 8? Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Probably don't need to worry about the washers on the other side. I will reccomend getting 1/2" longer bolts that will stick out of the tapped box part long enough to get a lock nut on for extra safety. I use a .035 110V flux on all of my welds and if done patiently (sp) it will work fine. Not as awsome as a big boy 220V but don't not put the patch kit on just cause you have a 110V welder.

8. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Guys, he said he has access to the proper and "recomended" equipment. Read his first post. He has what seems to be proper training. Go with the mig first, then a flux core. I will only use flux core as a last resort. I am beyond tired of grinding crap down.

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Guys, he said he has access to the proper and "recomended" equipment. Read his first post. He has what seems to be proper training. Go with the mig first, then a flux core. I will only use flux core as a last resort. I am beyond tired of grinding crap down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, If you would only use it as a last resort, then you need to practice up a bit more. I personally would have no issues with using flux cored wire on anything I fab. Anything. The only downside to flux cored wire is the slag left behind. And that comes off with a wire wheel. If you're havin to grind down a weld, regardless of what type of machine/wire etc. it was made with, then you need more practice. You know those Ready Welder things? You hook it up to a couple car batterys for trail repairs, it's a wire feeder spool gunthing all in one. I'd feel perfectly comfortable welding one of these frame patches with one of those. As a matter of fact, I just did that exact thing at Blazer Fest a few months ago. Dude ripped the steering box from the frame. RIPPED it off. Someone else had a ready welder and a frame repair kit, and I'm a "pro" welder, so I did the job. And he wheeled that truck for the rest of the weekend. "He" was a 16 year old kid that drove his K10 like it was a tank too. Held up fine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. coyle13

I pulled the box last night to look at the frame. The mounting holes are REALLY wallowed out and I have some nice buckled cracks around the lower mounting holes, front and rear. So, I will drill-stop the cracks, grind a v and weld up the cracks. I think I will drill out the frame, box and patch kit to 1/2" and go for the Grade 8 beef. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for all the help and I will post up how it goes.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Actually, as a system, flux core is stronger than gas and solid mig. Usually it's the human element that goes mixing or messing this fact up.