Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding gloves

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Muddytazz, May 28, 2006.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I can buy the bulky/awkward gloves that go half way up your forearm all day long and I hate them. What I'm looking for is welding gloves in the regular glove length (cuff stops at your wrist area). Anybody know where to get these?

2. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

you could use regular heavy duty leather work gloves, but I don't know how they would do for welding as far as heat is concerned. Maybe check out Lowes or Home Depot they usually have all kinds of gloves.

3. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yea, home depot has them. If you're arc welding, wear long sleeves at least. i got a sun burn from the arc when i only had gloves on.

4. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

depending on what type of rod you're burning, theres usually a lot of splatter flying everywhere that is also going to burn up your arms pretty good. long sleeves wont be stopping any of that unless your wearing leather sleeves. i think long sleeves are more uncomfortable, i'd rather wear the long gloves.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

We are required to wear leather sleeves at work and are given the bulky big gloves also, but I just can't work with them. Would rather weld with no gloves than those things. I'm not arc welding either, using mig and tig

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Look at the Machanics Fabricator gloves. Mainly meant for TIG work though as they are pretty thin.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Gloves are for pussies! Of course I'm no model for safety, my jeep's body is sitting on 55 gallon drums and milk crates, and I usually dont even wear a shirt when I'm welding. Good thing I have dark skin...:D

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I normally just wear Mechanics Gloves. And after my last sunburn, a long sleve shirt.

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

tillman makes a whole line now.. of shorter gloves.. some all leather..good for mig... some leather with synthetic back.. (good for tig)... 9-12 dollars... at your welding supply or onlone if you are sure of your size
    BUT
    they arent that great for hot metal or grinding... for this I use full cuff tillmans or the harbor freight 6 pak work gloves ( but you have to have six tiny fingers for these... they never fit right)

any exposed skin with receive a healthy dose of UV radiation.. might not get you now BUT it will as you age...
    those knuckleheads on American chopper who think its cool not to wear protection will all look like blind alligators when they get older

10. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I was welding today and was out in the sun and I was wondering where this weird sun mark on the front of my neck (kinda on my throat) came from. After reading y'alls responses I reckon it's from the gap between my welding helmet and my long sleeve sweatshirt I was wearing.... hmmm.... I knew you could get burnt but not sun burnt. Man, this site is awesome!:bow: learn somethin everyday. But I understand about dexterity when tig welding, the guys in the welding shop on base don't like wearing the thick gloves they have to wear either. And you're not the first person I've heard say that they'd rather not wear gloves at all.:D

11. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Don't think that would last to long with welding sparks

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://www.bakersgas.com/till1300.html

I have a pair of gloves like those for MIG welding. Lighter and allow much more hand movement than the big bulky leather things I was used to previouslly(I used to wear mechanics gloves or just bare hands rather than the big leathers). I have a hard time taking those gloves off. They are comfortable and I am tempted to wear them when doing other fabricating things, but that just ruins them so I begrudgingly take them off.

http://www.bakersgas.com/till25al.html

Pair of those for TIG welding. NO good for MIG. The material is too thin, can get way too hot down there. Even when I TIG weld I wear 1 MIG glove on my torch hand and the deer skin one on my filler hand. Allows me to get my hand in there with the TIG torch.

14. camiswelding

dont let it happen again... one exposure can alter a skin cell... an altered skin cell is a path for mutation... and possibly cancer

always cover up... when welding.. tillman also makes a shield for this area...I used rivets and heavy cotton made my own... no more hot metal when Im welding overhead

use sunscreen in the sun

my left arm had a bunch of spots burned (NITROGEN)off it by my skin doc about two years ago... all from sun exposure from years of driving a radiocar with my left arm exposed to the sun... Im older than many of you..learn from my mistakes

15. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Red meat makes me cancerproof :D

16. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I found the Tillman 1300 Mig Gloves on Ebay for $4.70 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7595960569

17. camiswelding

there.. fixed it for ya :D :D

18. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

The American Chopper guys, they look cool today, in a few years they can tell you how dumb they are. Rich yes, but still dumb and having cancer problems.....
    George